Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Sunday, November 09, 2003

Not too bad. Getting another entry in. In fact, I am quite proud of myself.

Thursday, since I was in Des Moines anyway, I hopped up to Ames to visit my brother. I finally got to see his dorm room, and where all the hicks hang out. [wink] I took him out to eat, and then went and saw Matrix: Revolutions. Lew had to explain it to me: the Oracle/Architecht thing just threw me all off. The first thing out of my mouth was "Okay. So...what happened?" I think I've got most of it, but it may take a few more viewing of the three movies to grasp it totally. Too much thinking for a movie, dammit!

Saturday I set the VCR for the Iowa game since my parents don't have ESPN, and my sister was having a slave labor party for various wedding tasks. We put together the invitations, envelopes, and painted terra cotta flower pots for the centerpieces. My shoulders ached so bad, but we got a lot done. I can't believe how much is done already, and the wedding isn't until May. But then, Mom has really thrown herself into this, I think partly to compensate for no longer having any kids at home. Neither Mom nor Dad are ever home. And they wonder why no one comes to visit. Anyway, the entire time, I'm like, 'don't tell me how the game's going, if you tell, you're getting a spin-hook kick to the head.' Like I can kick that high, but they don't know that. [grin] Then Dad comes walking in the door, "Have you seen the eclipse?' And I reply, "I thought they said there were going to be too many clouds and we wouldn't be able to see it." Dad says, "Only clouds are over Iowa City tonight." Arrrrgh! Never, ever record a game. Ever.

Aunt Judy and Uncle Dan invited all the cousins over for Sunday dinner, which we had been trying to do for almost two years now. It was really nice. Besides all the incredible home made food, it was nice to catch up, especially with Cassie, who I never get to see anymore, and never ever without Calvin and Malea. I love my godson, but he is the most wild spitfire of a child I have ever met, and you don't get a word in edgewise. Ironically enough, most of the dinner conversation revolved around her brother Jacob and how much he's screwing up his life. Compared to the rest of the world, I suppose he's not doing so bad, but compared to the rest of the family...let's just say it's hard being the black sheep.

Uncle Dan showed us the video from their Grand Canyon trip. I guess the debacle of my Grand Canyon trip is far enough away that I don't remember how bad it was, because now I really want to go back. I went in August of 2001 as part of my farewell-to-school-hello-work trip, and it rained the night we spent at the bottom. They had to close the trails for three weeks because they were so damaged, and we had to climb out on those trails. It's all about the story, right? I swore I would never do it again: my feet hurt so bad, I woke up crying that first night. Must be that repression thing we do so well.

I have apple cake waiting for me, and I still need to pack. More business travel, this time to Hampton. I wonder if there's anything to do in Hampton?


0 Antiphon:

Post a Comment

<< Home