Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Thursday, December 04, 2003

I love Christmas carols. As soon as December rolled around, I had my radio at the office tuned to the all-Christmas station. Except they don't play my favorite Christmas artists as often as I like: Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole...all the oldies and goodies. And you just can't beat "A Charlie Brown Christmas" by the Vince Guaraldi Trio. Then there's the new ones: N'Sync, Britney Spears and even Shaggy's got a Christmas song. I looked at Amazon.com. "Now That's What I Call Christmas" has all of them. It makes me wonder: are any of these songs someday going to be an "Oldie but Goodie"? I mean, some of the Beach Boys' stuff is closing in on the classic category when it comes to Christmas songs. Will our grandchildren be listening to Shaggy sing "Christmas in the Yard" and think, "Now that's a classic!"

0 Antiphon:

Post a Comment

<< Home