Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Thursday, February 26, 2004

On the radio this morning there was a call-in show (I think it's "First Light" so named because it's earlier than the butt-crack of dawn), where the topic was "Gay Marriage: State or Federal issue?" I've been thinking about the gay marriage issue off and on ever since that one really big debate thread on the WD last year (actually, I think there were two, but I got so sick of the first one I stayed out of the second one). I did a lot of research into what the Bible says, and a lot of soul-searching into reconciling my personal beliefs and political beliefs and religious beliefs. I still haven't come to a conclusion, because really, I have yet to hear a good argument against it. I realized this morning that all the people who called in against gay marriage had really stupid arguments. And still, a part of me identifies with the so-called Christian right, because I was raised that way. But since moving to Iowa City and joining the WD, I've been exposed to other ways of thinking and the people who think that way, and sometimes they just make a whole lot more sense to me.

My religious beliefs are conservative: I believe the Bible says homosexuality is a sin. This breaks my heart, because it causes emotional and other hardships for so many people (one person in particular, but I think that is another post). Things would just be so much easier if it wasn't.

My political beliefs lean Libertarian: I believe government should stay out of people's lives if at all possible. This also involves a huge overhaul of the tax code, which would put me out of a job, but that's a conundrum for another day. I also believe the government has no business legislating morality or letting religious views oppress the civil rights of citizens. I am leaning toward the belief that in this case, the majority is oppressing the minority.

Which leads me into the one good argument I've heard: "This is what I believe in, and I can't stand by and let it happen." People should be able to express what they believe and they have a right to live in a country that embodies those beliefs, and they have a right to work making the country embody what they believe. It's the balance of majority rule and minority rights at stake, and it's a difficult one.

So my personal beliefs are being influenced by two seemingly conflicting points of view. Which leads me to the conclusion: the way it is isn't fair. My 'D' personality just kinda gravitates back that way. It's not fair. Which is, I suppose, about as good a reason as any.

0 Antiphon:

Post a Comment

<< Home