Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Monday, March 15, 2004

So Chelsea, Tacia and I went to see The Passion yesterday. I went to see it right after I read A Walk to Remember, so it was quite the emotional day for me. Leah asked me what I thought, and here's what I had to say:

You know, I'm still not sure what to think. I could tell a Catholic wrote it, though. There were things in there I knew were supposed to be significant, but I'd never heard of them before - like the Marys sopping up his blood after the scourging. Is that a Catholic thing?

I'd been in a discussion on this before I'd seen the movie, and the objection that struck me the most was 'why did his death have to be so violent?' After actually seeing it, that was my reaction, as well. I know that in order to save us, he had to suffer our punishment for sin, namely death and damnation. But I don't understand the necessity for such a violent death. And that's the biggest thing the movie did for me. It is one thing to read it, it is quite another to see it unfold before your eyes. Was it a test of his will, of his devotion to what he was doing for us? I can even see now why people think it's anti-Semitic. It's anti-Roman, too. The implication that anyone could do that to another human being, let alone the Son of God, and take pleasure in it, is horrifying to contemplate.

Other than that, it was very well done. I liked that it was in Aramaic and Latin, though I'm glad they chose to subtitle the most important points. I also liked the reminders of Satan's presence - the guy was truly creepy, but in a beautiful way. Points of it did strike me as too artsy, but that's my opinion and a creative choice.

I will probably never watch it again, but I'm glad I saw it. My pastor is holding a discussion group on the movie early next month. I think I'll go, just to see what is said. Probably ask my question.


We were silent after the movie. I couldn't talk about it, didn't want to talk about. Didn't even really want to think about it. I went home and paid bills, because I don't think I could have done anything else. I did get over the mind-numb in time to watch Alias, though.



Later...
I don't know why I edit instead of add another post. I think it has something to do with the aesthetics, or something. Anyway, the P@ posted a bloq, and I feel obligated to answer. Today. Something to do with not wanting to go back to work after free food. Not that being free had anything to do with it, but it was free, and I would have paid for it, it was so good.

Aren't dollar stores just the shizz-nit?
It's amazing what you get for a dollar! Sometimes I have to be one of those incredibly stupid people who take something up to the register and say, "How much is this?" and get the look - "It's a dollar, you moron, it's a Dollar Store."

What three words best describe you?
loyal, homebody, semi-mischevious

What would a Ph.D. do fo-r your care-r?
Very little. I'd probably be relegated to a professor or something of the like.

If a book were being written about your life, what would the chapter you are currently in be called?
"In Confusion and Comfort"

Bob Dylan said everyone must get stoned - but why?
No one wants to be alone.

Don't you hate that?
Yes! The bastards!

How can they possibly expect you to go to work on a day like today?
Uncle Sam waits for no man. Or snow. It's snowing. A lot. I hope my driveway has accumulated enough warmth so that I won't have to shovel.

If you could change the color of your eyes, your hair, or your skin at will - what would you alter your appearance to?
That would be so cool! Like Alias without the makeup department! I wouldn't mind trying to be tan for once. To be able to go out into the sun without worrying about being burnt to a crisp...that would be *awesome*.

Pick a movie or a book or a television series that you know fairly well - now, what character would you like to see their point of view from? (eg, Harry Potter from Draco's perspective, or Snow White as strictly told by Sneezy, etc)
I'd like to see Alias from Marshall's perspective...but not everything can work as well as The Zeppo. [grin]

What song do you currently have in your head?
Firehead - devics

What have you learned today?
I can't even remember what I've done today, let alone what I've learned. Free food tastes better? but I think I already knew that. I was reminded today.

I love the sound of a Pepsi can opening. Also, certain sirens are cool. What sounds do you find appealing?
I like quiet. I really can't think of any sound I find more appealing than silence.

If you could visit 83 years in the past, or 83 years in the future, (for one week, with no time paradoxes resulting) which would you choose and why?
The future! Man, look up those lottery numbers!

and finally...

Invent a new word right now....please?
Putting 'please' on the end makes it no less imperative. Fundemerous.

0 Antiphon:

Post a Comment

<< Home