Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Monday, April 05, 2004

So Sam and Donna want $175,000 for the house. I'm sure someone will pay that, but it's not going to be me. The house north of me went for $150K, and the house south of me went for $130K, both in the past two years. The house south of me is a double lot, and a lot of work needed to be done on it. So a conservative figure would be $50K for the patch of land (location, location, location he thinks), maybe a hundred for the house and twenty-five for the rental permit...no. I'm most definitely going to miss being so close to the action on football Saturdays, but it's not worth that to me.

So I'm house hunting. I went to an open house over on Muscatine Ave., and it was a really cute house. Had oak floors, wood trim and a fireplace. A lot of character. So much character in fact, one of the basement walls was buckling. They did some reinforcing with a lifetime warranty, but buckling scares me. Some things you can deal with, but don't mess around with the foundation. I'm afraid my house-hunting is going to be like car hunting for me. See, I was looking for a manual with power-everything, and it's just hard to find those two in combination unless you want to pay for a sports car. I want an old-fashioned house with none of the problems. I'm just not going to find that unless I want to pay for a completely refurbished house - pricey or in a not-so-great neighborhood. I'll find something. I just hope it's before my lease runs out.

0 Antiphon:

Post a Comment

<< Home