Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Friday, May 14, 2004

I'm much better at regular Trivial Pursuit than I am at Pop Culture Trivial Pursuit.

A Little Later that Same Morning...
Is that a song lyric? It's got a rhythm and a tune in my head, but nothing more than that line.

Anyway, that's not my point. What was it, Wednesday night, I read the then-latest draft of Josh's play, because he wanted feedback and suggestions. Besides being completely honored that he would ask me to do that for him, it made me remember how much I used to enjoy writing. I mean, back when I was in grade school. We did a lot of creative writing in school, and I ended up doing a lot outside of class, too. I remember writing a lot of collaborative work with my friend Michael, though I don't know where any of that went. I dragged out my Trapper Keeper (hee!) where I kept a few of my stories and poems and such. They weren't horrible, considering how young I was. I remember how proud I was of "Brian the Sailor" and I even drug out Mom's typewriter and typed it up. One of these days I should type it up for you, sic and all. Excerpts from my creative writing journal are in there and the last comment from Mrs. Waech went something like this: "Write, write, write some more. You may have a future."

I don't remember why I quit, but every once in a while I'll run across some depressed poetry I've written in my journal or some such. Once in a while it crosses my mind that I should try writing something again. I picture myself sitting in a lawn chair in my backyard with a notebook and a pencil. Which seems a little antiquated, but when I'm composing, I just think better that way. I'm writing my wedding toast that way. Shit, I need to finish that. The bulk of it is written, but it needs some more revision and the actual toast.

I wish I had kept more of my stories. I threw them out because I didn't think they were very good, but it would have been fun to read them again. It may take a couple months, but you may hear back from me on this subject.


A Little Later that Afternoon...
Playing with the Photobucket option Annika suggested...


Nick, Kristen, me, Chelsea, Josh

Hey, this might be okay! Now if I only could put photo editing software on my computer...

0 Antiphon:

Post a Comment

<< Home