Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Thursday, May 13, 2004

You would think I'd already have a lot to do, the way I complain. But I'm taking on something else, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm going to teach Principles of Accounting II at Kirkwood Community College this summer. It's an eight-week course, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-10. One of my bosses is in Rotarty with the Dean, who asked him if he knew anyone who might be interested. Seems all you need is either a master's degree or a CPA, and I've got both. I met with the Dean and the head of the department on Monday to go over the curriculum. It's pretty much all laid out, but I have some flexibility in adapting it and in grading policies. I think I'm going to stick mostly with what they have, and make modifications sparingly. I've started reading the text. It all looks obvious to me, and I think my greatest fear will be talking over their heads. A lot came back to me, in terms of remembering learning the material, so hopefully more of that will return, so I know which concepts I had trouble learning. I do know now which ones are important to know, though, so hopefully I can bring those out. Poor kids. It sucks having a first-time teacher. I hope I can overcome that so they can learn something. And have a little fun in the process.

0 Antiphon:

Post a Comment

<< Home