Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Yeah, this sounds expensive. The building inspector had lots of helpful suggestions (did you read the sarcasm there? well, 'suggestions' is sarcastic - it was helpful, just not the deadline I now have to get them done). If I didn't have people who knew about this kind of stuff, I would be in a major panic about now:

1) The tenant needs to be able to control their own heat. I have to replace the window air conditioner anyway, and he suggested that I look into a combination heating/cooling unit.

2) Because there is the air conditioner in the window, the bathroom has no ventilation. Maybe if we can put the new unit into the wall somehow, I can use the window for ventilation and avoid having to put in a fan.

3) I need another outlet in the main living area, and the other one should probably be moved, since it's practically in the ceiling.

4) The tenant also has no access to the fuses, since they're in the basement. Pretty much my two options are to either move the fuse boxes into the upstairs or put a stronger door to my kitchen to give the tenant access to the basement.

5) The exhaust duct from the water heater needs to go at an upwards angle, and some pipe added for something or another. I wasn't following the pipe thing too closely, but I know where it goes.

6) I'm going to have to replace the stair unit that goes to the upstairs. Repairs could probably be made, but it will be a whole heck of a lot easier to just replace it now. Which I was planning to do anyway, I suppose.

7) I may have to install a stove as well. It would probably have to be gas, because there's a good chance the electrical system wouldn't be able to handle the load for an electric. That was in my long-term plan, too, but they're going to check on the legal requirement to see if I have to do it now.

8) They have to come back out today to do some measurements for the duct system. I'm a little peeved that this couldn't be done yesterday, since I have to come home again to let them in.

Uncle Tim and family are planning on coming up tomorrow night to help me sort this out. Uncle Tim has a plumbing/electrical/HVAC business, and he offered to walk through with me before I bought the place anyway. Mike also volunteered to help, and I can probably count on Dad, too. Hopefully, this can all get done within budgetary reason, and I'll probably feel better once I have a better idea of what I'm looking at, but for now, I'm a bit nonplussed, especially since I don't even have a tenant yet.

6 Antiphon:

9:21 AM, June 15, 2004, Blogger Chelsea

My uncle is a carpenter/knows pretty much everything about building stuff and he and my aunt rent a bunch of properties they own. I am sure he would be willing to answer any questions you have.

 
10:20 AM, June 15, 2004, Blogger Amanda

Not a chance. I need the steady income to make my mortgage payments, and I need to keep it continually rented in order to keep the rental permit. I eventually want to move out and keep the place as a rental, so I don't want to lose it. The repairs will be worth the cost, it's just very inconvienent.

And I have no idea why the building inspector didn't say anything about this stuff with the last inspection two years ago. That's one of the reasons I'm miffed.

 
11:18 AM, June 15, 2004, Blogger Mindi Scott

That's sounds like a lot of major stuff, but I don't know much about the cost of things. Maybe it's not as bad as it sounds.

Good luck! I'm glad you have knowledgable people who can help you out.

 
3:02 PM, June 15, 2004, Blogger Ems

HeeHeeHee... coin operated washer and dryer... HEeHeeHee. There's an idea... HeeHeeHee.

 
3:29 PM, June 15, 2004, Blogger Chelsea

I am all for helping tear things apart!!! Can I use a sledge hammer or crow bar?

 
8:18 AM, June 16, 2004, Blogger Amanda

Em, I should have just charged you for the number of days you left clothes in my basement, and I would have plenty of money to get all these repairs done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home