Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Saturday, July 24, 2004

Ericka, my next door neighbor on the other side, kinda stuck her foot in her mouth today. I could tell she felt bad for bringing it up, so I can’t blame her, but…anyway, I was on a ladder on that side of the house, painting the second story window. Erica was outside doing things, too, and called up to me, “Hey Amanda, do you know anything about Max’s son?”

I wondered where this was going. “Yes.”

“A friend of ours was asking about him. Do you know if he’s single?”

I hesitated as the rock settled in my stomach. “I assume he is now.”

“Why? Was he dating…[gesture indicating Carolyn (previous upstairs tenant)]?”

“No, me. He moved to Wyoming a couple weeks ago.”

“Oh. I’m sorry. That sucks. Someone else will come along.”

Why do married people insist on saying such things? It’s like they don’t remember what it was like to be single. They think they’re being comforting when really they just sound trite. ‘Someone else will come along’ my ass. I’m not *ready* to start thinking about someone else. And who’s to say someone else will come along? They assume since they’ve found their someone, everyone else will, too. Well, there are plenty of people who’ve grown old alone. Maybe I’m one of those people. So take your platitudes and your happy little life with someone who loves you and leave me alone.*


*Please take my anger and bitterness with a grain of salt. I don’t really harbor (much) resentment against you attached folks, and I do really like Ericka, it’s just one of those diatribes that had to be spoken. But really, if I do hear platitudes, I will kick your ass.

4 Antiphon:

10:17 AM, July 27, 2004, Blogger Chelsea

I use my blog to vent things like that all the time. That is what it is for.

How did the work on your house go?

 
1:59 PM, July 27, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous

I just say "Yeah I know", as I still hope I will meet someone one day. I'm not saying you don't feel that way, just we differ in our reactions.

But remember, we agreed if still single, we'd grow old together on a porch front, throwing stuff at kids and having 84 cats.... I dread to think of the insurance bills (on the cats!) but still- good plan.

And I can't read your small print.

Helen

 
2:08 PM, July 27, 2004, Blogger Amanda

We did! I can't believe you remember that! And they're attack kitties, don't forget, so we'll have to factor in the cost of lawsuits, too.

Cynicism comes and goes.

I switched the font up a notch, but you should be able to read it full size on the "Post a Comment" screen.

 
2:12 PM, July 27, 2004, Blogger Ems

I would like to say that to a little sister with the safety of 3600 miles that is an invitation to provoke an ass kicking! LOL. Oh, and you need a hair dryer. There is only one way to be an eccentric old lady and that is with a hair dryer. And I will pretend not to harbor (much) hurt that you hate me cuz Im married.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home