Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Thursday, July 01, 2004

I had two people come look at the apartment last night. Both were guys. The first was a graduate student, the other an ex-con. You heard me. He was very personable, very upfront about his past, really nice guy. If I wasn't living in the same building, I would very much like to give him a chance. As it is, I think way too many people would be uncomfortable with the idea. When I went over to Mike's to finish grading papers, I told him about my prospects, and he said, "I knew I didn't feel right about that guy. I was watching him from the window the entire time." He was a little more colorful in his language, so I paraphrase. One, awwww, he was looking out for me, and two, the fact that he got a vibe that I didn't without knowing what I did makes me extremely nervous. I am a trusting person. How good is my judgement?

I would very much like to get some other prospects, so I can get a better feel for this process. The ad's only been in the paper for two days. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

5 Antiphon:

12:27 AM, July 02, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous

You probably need to watch out for the Grad student more than the Ex-con. lol What was the Ex-con in for?

On a bright note: If Mike is getting vibes about your safety, maybe he is getting protective of you and cares about you. Of course if he starts marking his territory by peeing on your doorstep you might have a problem. I hear black pepper works for that.

 
5:00 AM, July 02, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous

I can see your point re: the ex-con. For a start, his crime has an effect. Murder one is a wee bit more serious than repeated traffic violations.

However, I'll say this- if it's drugs (dealing, smoking whatever), than flat out no. I'm not sure if the law is the same in the US as over in the UK, but I learnt this from my housemate who was also my landlady. I think what she said was that if one of your tennants is caught dealing drugs, it can also implicate you, as it involves your property.

It's nice that Mike is looking out for you, and caring. Don't worry that you didn't get the vibe initially- I'm sure you'd have got it eventually. I'm more wary initially with people, and then warm round to them, as it seems Mike does.

Depending on what the ex-con did time for, rule him out. A slight fraud, or traffic violation, then fair enough, the guy slipped up, did time. But you wouldn't let to a 'clean' guy if you had a funny vibe. As Grissom and the CSI guys say- "If something doesn't feel right, then it probably isn't". I'll trust them- they seem pretty wise guys ;-)

Helen

 
10:11 AM, July 02, 2004, Blogger Amanda

Meth. He does seem like he's trying to turn his life around, but he's been out for less than a year. When Mike heard that, he put his foot down. "No." It was so cute. I do trust his judgement here, so yeah. I didn't get applications back yet from either, so I don't have to worry about it yet.

 
10:49 AM, July 02, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous

METH! RUN! HIDE! METH can be harder to kick than a velcro monkey attached to your back with superglue. Buy Mike a Pizza and thank him for his insight.

 
12:05 PM, July 02, 2004, Blogger Mindi Scott

Ugh. Meth. One time, several years ago, I was going to buy a house to rent out. The houses I could afford were in Pierce and Thurston counties in Washington. Both are well-known for renters setting up meth-labs in their rental homes. I decided to ix-nay that plan forever.

Can you legally choose a renter based on whether they've been in jail? I know that you can't not rent to someone based on race, etc. I've never known how that stuff works.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home