Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Thursday, August 12, 2004

“Don’t let the world mess up your soul. Try to be the girl you once were.”

To continue my philosophical train of thought...

When I look at the person I am now versus the person I used to be, I wonder what has changed for the better and what has changed for the worse. There I things I miss about how I used to be, and things I don’t. And there are things I think I should regret and I feel slightly guilty that I don’t anymore. I know regret to be a useless emotion. Guilt has its uses, but regret does not. The past cannot be changed. I often wish there were things I had said or done or hadn’t said or done. Sometimes, too often, I think, I lay awake at night playing the ‘what if’ game. What if I could go back and do it again, knowing what I do now? What would I change? What would I leave the same? Who would I be? I wouldn’t be the same. That I know.

I wonder if that’s what it really means to grow up. Knowing that the experiences you’ve had and the people you’ve known have shaped you, for better or worse, and accepting that. Being content with who you are, but always working toward being someone better.

3 Antiphon:

12:16 AM, August 13, 2004, Blogger Technomage

Don't play the "What If Game". It will only make you bitter on life and you will spend all your time thinking about the past. By doing that you will miss what is going on around you now. Open you eyes. Don't forget the past, but don't dwell on it either. A little wool-gathering is good for the soul. Recognize the patterns in your life and either use them to your advantages or make changes when you see you are going down an unproductive road.

I willing to bet if you just live in the NOW, you will appreicated it more and see all the possibilites ahead of you. That doesn't mean be foolish and waste your time, but live in the moment. If you are on the beach, drink in the sun and surf. Don't be the person on the beach hiding under the beach umbrella, complaining about the heat and the sand in your shorts.

Grow Up! ---- Just a pharse used by people who want you to act the way they think you should.

 
12:55 AM, August 13, 2004, Blogger Ems

Regrets are fo rpeope who dont know, or appreciate who they are. I dont believe in regrets. Every moment, every experince, every person and action has made us who we are. If you regret something, then you regret who you have become. I used to think that if I could go back and make Grandps well, I would. But you know what, I dont think I would. He touched so many people and he led a full life and his passing has had such an impact on me and so many other people, how could I take that away? And it is like that with evrything that happens. Regrets, what ifs, they dont heal anything. They dont take anything aay, they only cast doubt on the things that are true and sure.

 
4:59 AM, August 13, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous

What's brought on this pensive mood?

Hugs, anyhow. You're obviously a clever person to think about all this, and I think your last paragraph hits the nail smack on the head [up]

Helen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home