Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Sunday, August 15, 2004

I am never drinking alcohol in the sun ever again. I'm becoming more and more of a pansy with this heat exhaustion thing. Friday I was a hole watcher for the Chamber Golf Outing. You know, to be a witness in case someone actually made a hole-in-one for the car. I got to sit on the golf course in a lawn chair, on a gorgeous 70 degree day. 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. I drank one screwdriver with my other 60-some ounces of water, and I got heat exhaustion. Maybe if I had worn a hat...I don't know. I ate lunch and barely made it home before it came back up again. I slept the rest of the day and into Saturday morning.

I first got heat exhaustion in high school when I worked for Econofoods. They were doing that grill thing outside that grocery stores around here do in the summer, with brats and hotdogs and pop and such, and I was scheduled for an 8-hour shift. One of those 90 degree days with high humidity over a hot grill. Yeah. No wonder I ended up with heat exhaustion, and I've been susceptible ever since.

And it sucks. I can't spend any long periods of time in the sun without getting sick. I have to drink gallons of water, cover my head, and not exert myself too much. I feel like I'm betraying my farm girl heritage by being such a wimp, though I know it's not anything I can help. I should have sued Econofoods while they were still in business.

1 Antiphon:

6:39 PM, August 16, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous

Well alcohol does dehydrate you, so you probably need to drink extra amounts of water just to stay properly hydrated.

Helen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home