Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

I feel especially cute today.

For the first time in years, I am wearing a skirt that falls above my knees. Having always been a bit self-conscious about my knees, I am surprisingly comfortable. I inherited my knees from my mother, who inherited them from her mother. I actually recieved an apology once from Mom for passing on her knee genes to me. I am not positive exactly what it is about my knees that I don't like, but I generally like to cover them up. I went through a very long period, in fact, where I never wore shorts in public. That is quite the feat, if you know anything about Iowa summers.

My mom made this particular skirt for me many years ago. It is plaid and has a school-girl look to it, though it is not pleated. Combined with my new bangs and hair up in a ponytail, I definitely exude the school-girl look. Which is slightly appropriate for the first week of school. The only thing that mars my cuteness is my prickly legs. Hair is not really noticable, except to me, but I do not care, which is new to me, too. I am usually quite self-conscious about that, too. Hmmm. Wonder how this came about?

8 Antiphon:

1:04 PM, August 25, 2004, Blogger Technomage

Take a picture and post it!

 
2:27 PM, August 25, 2004, Blogger Amanda

I don't have a digital camera.

 
11:35 PM, August 25, 2004, Blogger Mindi Scott

ME TOO!

I have my mother's knees! I hate my knees! I wore a skirt that showed my knees for the first time this summer!

 
12:03 PM, August 26, 2004, Blogger Technomage

I get everything from my mom!

True Story. Last week I'm at the hospital visiting my mom who has a blot clot in her leg. (She is at home now and fine). The Nurse on the ward say: "Oh you must be here to visit Ms. J! You look just like you Mom! Pretty!" Great! I'm a guy. My Dad is 6'1". My Brother 6'2". My uncles are over 6 feet. My aunts are 6'3, 5'10, 5'8. My Mom is 5'5. I'm 5'8. WTF! Ok I have some issues. Before puberty I sounded like my mom, now I sound like a drag queen. Go figure! And don't get me started about my weight and my rail like brother!

 
12:12 PM, August 26, 2004, Blogger Technomage

On a calmer note.....

I've got a cheap digital camera you can have until you get one for yourself. It doubles as a web cam I think. I got this camera as a test bed so I could decide what I really wanted in a digital camera. I often do that with computer equipment before I make a big purchase. Anyway...If I find the software you can have it.

 
3:05 PM, August 26, 2004, Blogger Ems

I love cute days. I am having one today. Mom and I went shopping at JC Pennys and I got this cute little argoyle (sp?) sweater. It goes so well with my hair. And to answer your earlier question, yes I cut my hair again. And dyed it.

 
10:09 AM, August 27, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous

I am so happy to find someone else with knee and prickly leg issues...!

Heehee, schoolgirl look.

~CosmicAvatar

 
7:23 AM, August 31, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous

I got my grandmas's feet- awkward shaped apparently. My brother and I mostly look like my Dad I think, but I think we have our Mum's eyes.

It's quite sweet you got an apology for the knees!

By the way- what are prickly legs? That's got me baffled but as Amanda knows, it's clearly not an American/Brit confusion thing :S I have half an idea.

Helen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home