Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Monday, August 16, 2004

I, like most people, have an inordinate amount of Stuff. They say that as you move into bigger spaces, you accumulate more Stuff to fill that space. This is true. As the daughter of a notorious Pack Rat, I have to struggle not to keep Stuff. I, unfortunately, have a room in which I am able to keep Stuff. The spare bedroom, which is only so by the graciousness (or 'I need to store this!) of Leah, is where my Stuff usually ends up. I am in the process of cleaning and organizing this room, so I have room to put a desk for my new computer. (Internet Thursday! My first order of business will be downloading AIM, but my second will be a Very Special Post. Stay tuned.)

I am not quite sure how to arrange the room, but my head will figure it out. After all, I did come up with the ingenious arragement for Lew's bedroom that avoided using the loft and having to carry that 800-pound bed somewhere else. I got quite a bit done yesterday, though I got started on my financial records and they're still all over my living room floor. I've been unsatisfied with my current filing system for quite some time, but when I saw Mike's, I was downright jealous.

It's also amazing at how caught up you can get reminicsing about the things you kept to remind you of them. Newspaper clippings, awards, seashells, ticket stubs, brochures... My memory isn't so hot, but these things help the memories back to the surface. I even found my paper dolls. I remember spending hours with those dolls, changing their clothes, acting out scenes. Remembering that far back made me feel peaceful, if just for a moment, like I was a child again, with none of the cares or pains of today.

I'm getting better at not keeping Stuff, only keeping the things I need or the things that hold memories. If I lost them, I wouldn't miss them, because I wouldn't remember them, but at the same time, I would lose something. Something intangible. As time goes by, it's easier to figure out which items hold real sentimental value and which can be gotten rid of without fuss. Even clothes hold this problem for me. I went through a lot of boxes yesterday. "Why am I keeping this?" "This is so out-of-stlye. Will it come back in?" "I'm never going to wear this again, it's too short." "I had my senior pictures taken in this outfit. I'm not ready to get rid of it yet." "Hey, this is cool." I'm actually wearing my bar pants today. You know, those black polyester pants that were so ubiquitous a few years back? They still fit. All right! [/Quagmire]

8 Antiphon:

10:28 AM, August 16, 2004, Blogger Technomage

What's the Quagmire comment at the end?

You think you have stuff now?!?!?!?! Give it ten years and see what happen. Even as we speak your telephone bill and cable bill are mating and making little baby bils with clear plastic windows.

Try the books:

Taming the Paper Tiger by Barbara Hemphill
Love it or Lose it: Living Cluter free forever by Barbara Hemphill
File... Don't Pile by Pat Dorff

happy reading

 
3:11 PM, August 16, 2004, Blogger Ems

I truely believe tht it actually hurts me to throw things away. But I did pretty good before the move, but now stuff is coming up that I cant get rid of, but dont really need nor have room for, but I cant let it go. Genes, I swear sometimes!

 
6:23 PM, August 16, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous

As time goes by, I am slowly becoming more and more convinced that we are in fact twins...

Aside from the whole "become old women with 84 cats" thing, I actually spent a while typing out an entry all about how I live on "Memory Lane", and about my sorting through memories and clutter, as I organise and sort my room.

However, Blogger was being a royal pain in the ass, and not letting me post it, no matter how many times I tried. I couldn't even log out.

So now it looks like I was copying your post, but I swear, I typed it first!!

See? Twins.

 
6:50 PM, August 16, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous

OK It turns out it did publish my post, and twice in fact. I just couldn't see it (I'd think cookie problem, but even when I loaded a new window and typed in the addy it didn't show). Huh. Anyway- it was there Sunday [up]

Helen (the previous entry was me too, in case you didn't guess)

 
7:44 AM, August 17, 2004, Blogger Chelsea

Moving made me realize how much stuff I have. Most of it is clothes that I rarely wear but feel bad getting rid of. I went through some of them before I moved, but I need to go through all of them. I really don't want to.

 
3:42 AM, August 18, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous

I, like most people, have an inordinate amount of Stuff. They say that as you move into bigger spaces, you accumulate more Stuff to fill that space.So true. I am more ruthless than I was, but I pity anyone who has to clear out our house, should we suddenly pop our clogs. It's a veritable treasure-trove of useless clutter. It's nice to find someone with similar thought processes to mine on this subject.

And, hello! Have I stalked you before? I honestly can't remember whether I have, yet I had a strange sense of déjà vu...

~CosmicAvatar

 
3:29 PM, August 18, 2004, Blogger Mindi Scott

I recently went through my closet and got rid of a ton of old clothes. I gave them to my mom so that she can give them to whomever she wants. Her comment: "Wow! Those clothes are from the archives!"

Yeah. So I keep stuff way too long.

 
7:33 PM, August 19, 2004, Blogger Amanda

Amanda-

I don't remember if you've stalked me or not, either, but welcome! I think I've only stalked you a couple times, but now that I'm internet woman, I'll have to remedy that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home