Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Thursday, November 04, 2004

I had a 45 minute conversation with my mom last night about the election. She said she had a hard time sleeping the night of the election because she was so afraid Kerry would win. We had a very productive discussion on the balance between Christian concern for the direction of the country and oppressing minority groups. I have a hard time believing that legislating moral values will do much to change the hearts of people who believe they are being discriminated against. But my point was that the conversation was a give and take of ideas, and I think we both came out with a little better understanding of the other side.

I'm just in the middle of being sick and disgusted of people's lack of respect for our elected leaders, on both sides. I may not agree with their policies, but I no longer wish to resort to childish teasing and jokes. I don't believe that being a public figure automatically gives us license to perpetuate that. I don't mind exchanging ideas in a comedic way - I think the Daily Show does a wonderful job of walking that line, but so few people do. I can't help but remember that one scene in the West Wing when Martin Sheen is interviewing Lily Tomlin and he respected her previous scathing disagreement with something he had done, because she had referred to him as President Bartlett. She disagreed with him whole-heartedly, but she still had respect for the office. I think the exchange of ideas would be so much easier if both sides knew that the other side respected them. I don't think most people know how to disagree with someone but still respect them.

Politics is an excercise in compromise. I may be an optimist, but I'm also a pragmatist. The election is done and over with, and we have to live with the results. I find it useless to bitch and moan about the past like it can be changed. Do we enter a new phase in American history? Maybe. Will things get worse before they get better? Most likely. But I'm willing to believe in the system. I'm not convinced either Democrats or Republicans have the "best" plan for America. I believe there are faults in both plans. Now that I have to live with the Republican side, I'm willing to let them work. I'll oppose the things I think the worst and settle for things I don't think so bad. I'll fight the conservatization of the Supreme Court with every fiber of my being. I'm willing to let Bush try privatization in Social Security, because I believe there needs to be either a fundamental shift in funding or a fundamental shift in the purpose of the program. It may not be the best approach, but at least it's an approach. But I refuse to sit and sulk because the guy I voted for didn't win.

2 Antiphon:

10:40 AM, November 05, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous

That sounds like a good, pragmatic attitude. Besides, excessive bitterness and frothing at the mouth just leads to high blood pressure and hospital visits...

~CosmicAvatar

 
2:16 PM, November 05, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous

I knew nothing of the policies of either sides, not being an American... but if I poke fun at Bush sometimes it's because he sets himself up for it.

And yes, if you disagree with me, let me have my opinion (not you, I'm meaning 'you' in the very general senese!!)

Helen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home