Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

I haven't eaten so many vegetables in my life. And liked it. I've been trying to change my eating habits to include less processed foods and less sodium. The sodium is because my blood pressure has been too high the last couple times I've been to the doctor...I've already cut out most of the caffeine. (And trying to spell 'caffeine' drives me nuts, because it doesn't follow the "I before E, except after C, and when sounding like A as in neighbor and weigh" rule.) I don't drink nearly as much pop anymore, though when I do it's caffeine-free, and I do drink more coffee, even though decaf is horrible-tasting. Not that coffee didn't already taste horrible at work...

My snacky foods have been more along the lines of raw carrots and cauliflower. Eating a whole head of cauliflower before it goes bad all by yourself is proving to be a challenge. I've been on a hummus-and-sprouts sandwich kick this week. I find it ironic that I like hummus, because I hate beans and chickpeas and beans are almost too close for comfort. I've also been on a green tea kick. Mmm...anti-oxidants.

I have not been doing so well on the excercise, because TKD doesn't start until tomorrow. I have been doing Pilates while I watch television. Which is less than it sounds, because I haven't had time to watch television lately (already!). I even picked up a mat I saw on sale the other day, which will greatly help. Much easier to do the excercises if you're not also trying to keep your feet from sliding all over the place.

And speaking of television, I'm hoping Maurice has lost enough weight to get the second prize tonight on The Biggest Loser. I've been pulling for the guy through the whole thing, something about my tendancy to root for the underdog. I was in tears during half the thing last week...when they got to go home and their family and friends were so surprised...I was just so happy for them! [crying]

4 Antiphon:

10:56 PM, January 18, 2005, Blogger Annika

I have heard (but not tested myself) that mashed cauliflower is delightful. I believe the idea is to steam it and then mash it with salt and pepper and butter (and maybe milk?) like you would potatoes. Incidentally, turnips are very good that way. That one I have tried. My favorite way to eat hummus is on good bread with greens, balsamic and roasted red peppers. Mmmmmm.

This comment has made me hungry.

 
10:07 PM, January 19, 2005, Blogger jenn

ohh, I was going to reply but we're in a hotel room with no way to get food and this would just make me hungry. All in all, I should reply later when I'm not about to head to bed!

But right now Jim and I are probably eating about 8-12 servings of veggies a day (each). And they are yummy beyond belief.

And that is all I can say right now [drool].

 
2:09 AM, January 20, 2005, Blogger Ems

Dont be too hard on yourself. Small steps are the best way to go so you dont feel like you are "being deprived" of anything. I love carrots. I never really ate a lot of them, but now I always bring a little baggie full of them to work with me and munch on them all through the day. And celery. As it turns out I apparently really like celery. Who knew? I say you are doing fine. Dont beat yourself up about the exercise thing.

 
12:02 PM, January 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

On the veggie front: you are just too good. Bravo!

~CosmicAvatar

 

Post a Comment

<< Home