Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

I miss snow days. All the schools were canceled because we had all this freezing rain and then three or so inches of snow on top of it. More snow tonight. If I were still in school, Mom would yell up the stairs, "No school today!" and we'd smile sleepily and turn off the alarm clocks. A couple of hours later, we'd troop down the stairs for breakfast and The Price is Right, with an hour to wait for All My Children.

That afternoon, we'd play in the snow. Dad would have made huge piles of snow, plowing out the driveway with the skid loader, and I'd tunnel into the pile and make igloos. Making them was much more fun than sitting in them. I have no idea why I would have done any of that, because I'm slightly claustrophobic. I wait for the tunnel to collapse every time in The Great Escape.

When I got bored of that, if I wasn't exhausted, we'd sled down the front bank. I bet it would be good sledding today. I was reminded recently of the time all three of us got on the sled and our combined weight got us all the way up the other side of the embankment onto the Highway. Good times, good times.

Maybe, if I'm not too exhausted after shoveling the driveway tonight, I'll go over to the ravine and see if Leah's sled still works.

4 Antiphon:

9:38 AM, January 05, 2005, Blogger Technomage

I'm at home with the kids today! Gotta shovel the drive though.

 
2:55 PM, January 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

Brrrrrrrrrr. Today was pretty cold I guess. Especially first thing in the morning [shiver]

And we've not got any snow... so have some hot chocolate for me!

I used to love snow days too. They always used to call them 'inclement weather days' though [crazy2].

Callie

 
3:50 PM, January 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

I'm glad that, as a snow-lover, you get the opportunity to play in the stuff.

(And as a non-snow-lover, I am happy too, as we rarely get it here!)

~CosmicAvatar

 
2:52 PM, January 06, 2005, Blogger Ems

Yes, those were the days. They dont cancel school here unless there has been at least ten inches, otherwise the buses can still get around. I think its those memories of snow days that are the reason why I like the snow here. matthew hates it, but I look at it and see fun. We going to go tubing at the ski resort here pretty soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home