Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Last night I dreamed I took a go-cart-type vehicle (to be exact, it was the cart the guy was testing in Numb3rs Sunday night) north up Highway 38. As I crossed the interstate, I was suprised to see that they had built a cowboy/prairie/Iowa history museum near the north east exit. I got out and explored the museum. It was pretty interesting, actually, and the building was beautiful.

I say this because I am now inspired to take a trip down to the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum in Mansfield, MO. It's only, what, a six hour drive? Completely doable in a three-day weekend. I can't believe, on all our travels, we've never been there. Especially when Dad was reading the books and constantly saying how Emily and I should live up to Laura and Mary's example.

And maybe I have. I am, after all, halfway blind.

4 Antiphon:

10:59 AM, January 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

There's a Laura Ingalls Wilder museum? Wonderful.

~CosmicAvatar

 
11:01 PM, January 25, 2005, Blogger Chelsea

There's probably a closer musem in WI somewhere. Check near Pepin, WI.

 
7:37 AM, January 26, 2005, Blogger Amanda

Yeah, there are museums all over the place. There's one in Burr Oak, IA. But Pa's fiddle is in Mansfield, and what's the point of a Laura Ingalls Wilder museum if you can't see Pa's fiddle?

 
10:11 AM, January 29, 2005, Blogger allison

You are absolutely right about seeing Pa's fiddle! I wish I could go with you.

Several years ago, Grant and I were travelling through NY state. I kept seeing a sign for Malone, and I kept trying to figure out why it seemed so familiar to me. A few mile down the road, we passed a sign for the Wilder farm and I let out a little shriek of realization.

Grant and I were still pretty new together at the time, so I didn't force him to turn around. After all, I had just made him spend an entire day at Green Gables; my confidence in the power of his love faced with girlhood obsessions was not all that strong. I regret not making that stop all the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home