Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Ever run out of gas a block from the gas station?

*Sigh*

Actually, I ran out of gas about four blocks from the gas station and coasted to a stop a block from the gas station. I've been running around with the light on for about three days now, so I guess that'll teach me. Or now I know how far I can get with the gas light on. I ran out of gas just past the law school, which is why I got as far as I did. The law school is at the top of a hill, and I coasted around the corner, through the intersection of Riverside and Burlington (fortunately the light was green - that light's never green), across the bridge and to a stop right on the railroad tracks.

*Sigh*

A 4X4 Ford Ranger is a lot heavier than it looks. A passing motorist helped me push it off the tracks and that's when the University cops showed up. The two ladies were *very* nice. Especially since in the process of pushing the truck, I locked my keys in the car.

*Doh!*

Instead of calling a tow truck as is procedure, one stayed with my truck and the other took me back home to get my extra set of keys and a gas can, which fortunately had enough gas in it to get me started and to the gas station. I'm so glad they didn't call a tow truck. As it was, I was ten minutes late getting to Bettendorf.

Have I ever mentioned how many times I've locked my keys in my car? Too many to count, really, so many that I am a fanatic about making sure I have my keys before I lock the truck. It would take running out of gas in the middle of a street to make me do it again.

5 Antiphon:

11:54 AM, February 21, 2005, Blogger Mindi Scott

Ever run out of gas a block from the gas station?Yes! Once, after buying a new/old Jeep, I ran out of gas in a parking lot because the gas gauge was off. A few days/weeks later, I was driving to the dry cleaners, and said, "I'll get gas afterward. This gauge says I have a quarter tank, so I'm probably running low. Better to be safe than-"

Then, just as I went past the driveway for the gas station where I planned to stop on the way back from the cleaners, the Jeep ran out of gas. I was stuck in a turn lane. Great, good fun that was.

Your experience sounds like one of those worse case scenarios. Only if a train were headed down those tracks could it have been worse. ;-)

I'm glad those ladies were so helpful. It isn't often that people will go out of their way like that.

 
9:42 PM, February 21, 2005, Blogger Ems

Since you mentioned the past,,, LOL this is not the first time she ran out of gas either. Remember that one morning you were taking us all to school and you ran out on the highway and we had to walk to MicroSurface to get Aunt Joyce cuz that was before the era of cell phones. LOL. Ah, yes... some things we never learn. And to date I have only locked me keys up three times. Twice in Iowa City. and once here.

 
12:00 AM, February 22, 2005, Blogger Chelsea

I applaud you. If you had told me the story at the Nest tonight I probably wouldn't have been able to teach. Not like I really taught all that much.

I have locked my keys in my car a couple times. The last was over winter break. Josh called me just as I was leaving Eldora, to see if I was heading back yet, and I decided to stop and get gas in Eldora, since it is cheaper. I set my keys on my seat so I didn't have to put them in my pocket or hold them, and out of habit I locked the door when I got out. I really didn't intend to lock the door. I blame Josh for distracting me. I called home and Lex came to my rescue with her set of keys. Funny thing is I locked my extra set in the car as well.

 
5:23 PM, February 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

I'm glad everything turned out OK in the end [up].

Callie

 
3:41 PM, February 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

On the railroad tracks?! Bloody hell. Glad that was sorted out before the next train came. Which I'm sure occurred to you too...

*shudder*

~CosmicAvatar

 

Post a Comment

<< Home