Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The heel of my very favorite pair of boots has been rattling. Every time I move: rattle, rattle. I feel like I'm carring a maraca. I finally got around to investigating, and it turns out I've worn a hole in the heel and broke off some part or another of the heel underneath. I've fished out the broken pieces, but now I'm hit with a dilemma. How am I going to replace these boots?

These were my very first pair of shoes taller than my ankle (not counting high-top tennis shoes from the 80's). I bought them right before Christmas of 2001. It was right after I had started working, and having money was new and exciting. Not that having money still isn't exciting, but it was new. I was Christmas shopping in Waterloo because I was stuck there auditing a concrete company, and I saw these boots and I splurged on myself and paid $65 for a pair of boots. I was so pleased. I've worn them at least three times a week during each of the winters since.

I'm one of those people who have a hard time finding boots that fit because I actually have calves and not pencils above my ankles. I did find a pair of brown ones at Dillard's a couple of years ago that fit wonderfully. To this date, those boots are my shopping coup, because they were marked down from $140 to $26. I still get a little thrill. Anyway, I am not looking forward to trying on dozens of boots that are too small for my calves, and I can't order them from catalogues for obvious reasons. *Sigh* You'd think with all the fat people in America, retailers would start stocking boots for them.

Not that I'm fat, but you know what I mean.

5 Antiphon:

2:08 PM, February 08, 2005, Blogger Ems

Yes. My cute black ones I have that have the chunky heel Tat I wear with my suits cuz they are the only shoes that look good on them, the back of the soes is coming unsewn. Its not quite torn all the way open, but it will soon. I LOVE those boots. I got them for Homecoming my sphmore year. I think from Payless. That was 8 years ago. How Am I supposed to replace those boots when evertything now is all poity and skinny heels. My ankles cant walk on skinny heels and my knee is too unreliable. Shoes should just lasty forever.

 
6:52 PM, February 08, 2005, Blogger Technomage

There is a cobbler in IC across from the Post Office, in the small strip mall. He fixes shoe, boots and other foot wear. Try him.

 
8:00 PM, February 08, 2005, Blogger jenn

When a salesgirl finally actually found me a pair of boots that fit my calves - I offered to have a baby for her. Or something like that.

I hear ya.

 
4:35 PM, February 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

I did the same thing! My heel wore down more at the very back than the front of the heel wedge, and so part of the heel base cut, and a pebble got in, and rattled. It went on for about a year! Sometimes it would get wedged but would work loose again.

Come to England, I want ankle boots which actually fit my ankle, not kinda fit but after 2 weeks are too wide around my ankle...

Callie

 
10:51 AM, February 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

As a fellow shapely-calved (and weird-footed to boot - haha, boot. Sorry) being, I can only sympathize with your plight...

~CosmicAvatar

 

Post a Comment

<< Home