Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

I have a co-worker who feels obligated to tell me what I'm eating. I pull out a sandwich: "Good ol' peanut butter and jelly, huh?" I come in the breakroom with a bag: "Pancheros." I pull a bowl out of the microwave: "Soup today?" I don't know why this bothers me so much. I like the woman, but I have been known to put off eating until she leaves the breakroom so she doesn't comment on my food. Amazing the kind of things that drive you nuts, huh?

5 Antiphon:

4:31 PM, February 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

It's those kind of little things though that drive me nuts too. It really bugs me when people assume they know what I'm doing.

Next time, turn round and say "Nope, I ditched the PB&J, this is earwax and wallpaperpaste."

Hmmm. Maybe not- you said you liked this woman, food commentary notwithstanding....

Callie

 
5:29 PM, February 10, 2005, Blogger Technomage

It could be that she likes you too. ( in a friend sort of way ) and she's just trying to find something to talk to you about.

 
7:08 PM, February 10, 2005, Blogger jenn

Yeah, my first thought was to shove her in the fridge.. but then I thought about motivation and it could be she's just looking to chat.

Maybe try talking to her as you get your food - get her going on a topic. Ask her something - people love to talk about themselves. They she'll already be on a topic as you get out your food.

 
12:48 PM, February 11, 2005, Blogger Ems

Does she eat lunch? Eat hers lunch one day. Then when she starts to comment just smirk at her and... No nevermind, go with what all these other people said. She really probably does want to chat about something. Its a fallback like the weather. When you dont know what to say you talk about the weather, with her its your food. But she is kinda pullin a "here's your sign" kinda deal huh? Oh, and FYI crunchy is being more of a hardass.

 
10:50 AM, February 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

I know how that kind of thing can irritate. My current bugbear is a guy in our team who, whenever he approaches his manager or me, sticks his hand up in the air as though he's in school. I have actually been known to say: "It's OK; I'm not a teacher," on my less tolerant days...

~CosmicAvacowman

 

Post a Comment

<< Home