Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Saturday, February 26, 2005

My godson Calvin turns five next month. He has been begging his mother (my cousin Cassie) to have a party with all his classmates, and she's given in. Cassie called me yesterday to ask if I would help, and if I had any suggestions. She said that Calvin's aunt Courtney suggested a carnival, that way if kids were coming or going they could join in easily. I shot that down right away. "No. Way. Waaay too much work and it's much harder to corral groups of kids than one big group. You definitely want big group activities, that way you don't have kids wanting to do what the other kids are doing and can't because there's not enough room. I'd also say plan on no more than three games."

"Really? Only three? What are they going to do for two hours?"

"Sweetie, by the time you corral the group for a game, explain it, play it, and move on to the next, you won't have time for more than that. I'd also play games first, get them tired out. Then they'll be ready to sit down for cake. While they're still eating, start opening presents while you have their attention. Then afterwards, you can let them run around for free time while their parents are picking them up."

"Wow, you sound like you know what you're talking about."

"I do, don't I? I wonder why that is."

It wasn't until I was hanging up my laundry in the basement eight hours later that I realized I teach Tae Kwon Do to this age group once a week. Doh!

Whoever it was that mentioned this was a symptom of senility, this has been going on for years. It's just me.

3 Antiphon:

9:07 PM, February 26, 2005, Blogger Technomage

In retrospect, my comments seem cruel. I don't mean them to be, just funny and timely .

 
10:09 PM, February 26, 2005, Blogger Ems

omg totally forgot about Calvin! When is his birthday? Am I gonna be home? I dont know if I have room for a present with everthing else. I need like eight suitcases. That is sad when I only took four when I MOVED here. NEWay, see ya real soon!

 
12:16 AM, February 28, 2005, Blogger Chelsea

As I was reading I was thinking, "That's what I would say because I teach kids of that age group tae kwon do at least once a week!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home