Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Unsolved Mysteries


On February 20, 2005, 27-year-old Amanda visited her parents, where she was given a piece of mail that had arrived there for her some time before. Her name and her parents' address was typed neatly on the front and there was no return address. Inside was an advertisement torn from the September 2004 issue of Executive Focus, an advertisement for magazine called The Organized Executive. Attached was a yellow post-it, handwritten:

"Amanda,

Try this
Its really good!"


And signed simply, "J"

Not immediately knowing who "J" was, she looked at the cancellation stamp for a clue. It was posted on September 4, 2004 from Santa Ana, California. The mystery deepened. She knew a few people from Califonia, none of which she knew by "J" or who might have had her parents' address. Who sent the letter?

If you have any information about this case, contact the blog adminstrator in the comments below. Thousands of Unsolved Mysteries have been solved by viewers like you!

11 Antiphon:

12:19 PM, February 24, 2005, Blogger Mindi Scott

I've received something like that before. Really! It was very disconcerting. There's just something so intimate about a post-it note signed with an initial. Like you really know that person! Like they are a friend who leaves you post-its all the time!

I suspect it's a marketing ploy.

 
2:01 PM, February 24, 2005, Blogger Ems

Most likely. I wouldnt be too excited about it. Buisnesses have people sitting in their cubicle doing shit just like that all the time.

 
4:07 PM, February 24, 2005, Blogger Technomage

Yeah, One of these days you are going to find a post-it note on your frig.

You've got 10 minutes, get your sh*t together.
-GOD

 
4:19 PM, February 24, 2005, Blogger Amanda

Are you telling me you think Jesus sent me mail from Santa Ana, CA????

I googled around, and it turns out this really is a junk mail scam. I feel a little dumb, being fooled like that, but it was really good. I give them props for authentic-ness, but I thumb my nose at making me wonder for three days.

 
4:23 PM, February 24, 2005, Blogger Amanda

And I should have been suspicious of someone who doesn't know the difference between "Its" and "It's".

 
4:30 PM, February 24, 2005, Blogger Amanda

I know I'm making some kind of blog faux pax by posting three comments in a row on my own blog, but I just realized that I'm only 26 and I wrote 27. This has been a difficult thing for me lately, trying to remember whether I'm 26 or 27. There might be a blog post in there somewhere, but that's really all I have.

 
5:49 PM, February 24, 2005, Blogger Technomage

It's called senility. It will be showing up more and more as time goes on.

 
11:01 PM, February 24, 2005, Blogger Mindi Scott

Blog faux pax! Mwhahahaha!

I noticed the "its" too, but thought I would sound stuck up if I mentioned.

Er, not that I thought you sounded stuck up...

 
2:53 AM, February 25, 2005, Blogger Ems

But IT"S one of her big pet peeves. huh, sis? Heeheehee. Cya in rwo weeks!

 
10:37 AM, February 25, 2005, Blogger Technomage

I'd love to meet your sister!

 
3:36 PM, February 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

J? It's got to be J- oh, wait, it's a scam, is it? Never mind.

~CosmicAvatar

 

Post a Comment

<< Home