Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

I have a thing about celery. Not a good thing. A really bad thing. I used to like it, especially with peanut butter. But within the last few years, I've developed an aversion to it. I didn't know how bad until today. During tax season, we tend to do more things together as an office, just as a break from the long days. Today we had lunch catered in from the Cottage, sandwiches and salads and cookies. They had an excellent potato salad, except that it had chunks of celery in it. I thought I was doing a pretty good job picking them out, but I mistook a piece for onion, and started chewing. Big mistake.

As I bit into it and the celery flavor exploded in my mouth, my gag reflex kicked in big time. I nearly puked on the table in front of the entire office. I think only Will forced the bile back down my throat. My eyes were watering, and my stomach was absolutely roiling. I ended up having to take the cucumbers out of the rest of my sandwich, because I'm already iffy about cucumbers anyway. Those I used to not like, and I recently have been giving them a second chance. I used to not like tomatoes, either, but I gave them a second chance and now eat them regularly.

I wonder if I had a bad experience with celery or something. When Emily was about seven, she ate spaghetti right before she got the flu, and ended up puking it all up on the stairs. It was years before she could eat spaghetti again, and to this day, I don't think she cares for it much. I think the reaction is supposedly something our body does to protect itself from bad or poisonous food. If your body rejects a certain food for some reason, it associates the rejection with the food, and you develop a food avoidance.

10 Antiphon:

4:48 PM, March 02, 2005, Blogger Amanda

It would have been even cooler if you had spelled them right. ;)

 
10:32 PM, March 02, 2005, Blogger Technomage

I had the same thing happen to me about the age of 20. I liked watermelon, cucumbers and honeydew melons but as a grew older I started have reaction and became ill. I think my alergies to grass and other things have finally kicked in. It's not uncommon for people to develope food alergies later in life. I just hope I don't get a problem with dairy products.

 
10:43 PM, March 02, 2005, Blogger letti

i don't care what anyone says, the one thing i will not put in my mouth ( unless it's just a tad, in salsa ) is cilantro..YUCK!

 
1:57 AM, March 03, 2005, Blogger Ems

It called Taste Aversion and you are right, it is a evolutionary thing that our ancestors passed down to us. And I dont really mind spaghetti now. I dont eat it that often but I cant eat peanut butter for the same reason. It Got the stomach flu and puked it up and it is horrible on the way up, so I am only slowly eating things with peanut butter in them.

 
1:58 AM, March 03, 2005, Blogger Ems

Oh, and I hated cucumbers but now I LOVE them. On my salads and sandwichs and plain sliced real thin. Yum. And onins. I eat onions now too.

 
10:45 AM, March 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

Interesting thought! I used to drink wine (although I was never a massive fan), but once I got drunk enough to throw it up, I coudn't face the thought of drinking it ever again.

I do give childhood aversions the benefit of the doubt, though, as ones tastes do change. I never thought I'd like asparagus, for example.

~CosmicAvatar

 
12:27 PM, March 04, 2005, Blogger jenn

Hmmm, I had one where it wasn't even the real food - but I thought it was. Yes, I'll explain ;)

When I was about three I drank an entire bottle of cough syrup thinking it was grape juice. I was taken to the hospital and I think I was forced to throw it up (don't remember the exact way this all went down). All in all, I was in my late teens before I was able to even SMELL grape juice without wanting to barf-o-rama.

True story.

 
12:28 PM, March 04, 2005, Blogger jenn

Oh, and I've decided to add the comments "true story" to everything I say now. I think it might start a trend.

True story.

(see, how cutting edge cool is that??)

 
11:50 AM, March 06, 2005, Blogger Chelsea

I puked after eating mac & cheese once and can barely stand to look at it anymore. I love cucumbers and celery though. I have been eating cucumber almost everyday for the last couple weeks. I have been putting them on my sandwiches.

 
11:50 AM, March 06, 2005, Blogger Chelsea

I puked after eating mac & cheese once and can barely stand to look at it anymore. I love cucumbers and celery though. I have been eating cucumber almost everyday for the last couple weeks. I have been putting them on my sandwiches.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home