Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Sin City: Wow. Todd is going to let me borrow the originals, because the movie blew me away. I loved the feel of it - it really was like I was watching a graphic novel unfold. The black and white, with color tones for emphasis, the changes in camera angles that made you feel like you knew when you moved from one pane on the page to the next. It was fascinating the way the violence translated to the screen. At times, it seemed excessive, but then I realized how it must have looked on the page, and it was exactly right.

I never knew Elijah Wood could be so creepy.

They did a really good job cohesing the stories. Yes, it did feel Pulp Fiction-y in that way, but I think beginning and ending with Bruce Willis' Hartigan was a great decision. It's kinda weird to say it, but he and Jessica Alba had great chemistry. And may I say how much I've now got a thing for Clive Owen? It may be because he reminded me a lot of Bruce Campbell in this, who I've had a celebrity crush on since he was Brisco County Jr. waay back at the beginning of the '90s, and before I knew anything about Evil Dead.

This was a review, not me drooling over Bruce Campbell. Where was I? Oh, yes. Bruce Willis. Bruce was able to scowl as much as he wanted to and not look ridiculous. Because this had all the cliches, all the hokiness, and all the textbook contrivances without making it ridiculous. There were some laughs out of the audience, but it fit too well to make fun it.

Definitely worth seeing again.

1 Antiphon:

10:14 PM, April 02, 2005, Blogger Mindi Scott

Now I'm looking forward to seeing this someday!

However, I saw Clive Owen in Closer and thought he was completely yucky.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home