Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Yeah, that whole running in the morning thing didn't work out for me. But check out this crazy dream I had that woke me up at 4:30 in the morning so that when my alarm went off at twenty to six I reset it for my normal time. This thing was *vivid*.

I was on a weekend trip for some sort of reunion or party or some such. Think WD party with people I've known throughout my life. It was at a hotel, and we were wrapping up to leave. I run into Griebs in the lobby with my luggage, who I had not seen the entire weekend and I was really surprised to see him. As the shuttle for the airport pulls up, I realize I left my purse somewhere. Suddenly, a girlfriend and I (can't remember who it was) was in the airport lounge having drinks when this black guy slides into the booth with us and starts chatting. We're having a nice normal conversation when he pulls out a gun (a cartoon-y one: a handgun with a super-long barrel) and hijacks the plane. He loads all the passengers onto the plane, and I'm in the first class area. Then the plane starts moving, but never takes off. We glide along streets and roads and fields, followed by emergency vehicles. Think OJ Simpson, but with a plane. Then Jason comes up from passenger seating and gives the hijacker a passionate kiss, and all of a sudden I know there's some complicated history between the two of them. Then I woke up.

As for the running...Sheesh! I'm going to have to take my truck and drive my route to figure out how far I ran. For those of you who know Iowa City: I took off down Koser to George and ran to Benton. I hung a right to Sunset and ran almost all the way to Hwy 1, and turned a block before and ran all the way back to Benton on Wyld Green. I turn east, intending to turn somewhere so I could hit Melrose Ct, but lost track of where I was. I didn't figure it out until I saw McDonald's up ahead of me. Since none of those roads go through, I turned up Hwy 6 to Myrtle. I took a little extra time between rounds 9 and 10, because there was no way on God's green earth that I was going to run up Myrtle hill. I'm wondering if I repeated a round somewhere, because I did all that and still got home with 15 seconds left to spare. My quads are toast.

And I'm starved. Would it be anti-climatic if I ordered a pizza?

5 Antiphon:

9:17 PM, April 27, 2005, Blogger Amanda

For the curious, I ran 3.9 miles. And Randal made us do lunge kicks today. Ouch.

 
8:01 AM, April 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

3.9 miles? Oooo, well done! And, ow. And that's one freaky dream. Anything on your mind? [wink]

~CosmicAvatar

 
1:16 PM, April 28, 2005, Blogger Technomage

I don't know whether to be really pissed or just stunned speechless.

A Black Guy with a Big Gun, or as they say in "The Wire" BNBG. Tonight the menacing forces of Evil in Amanda's dream will be played by a scary generic black guy.

I wasn't going to comment on the deep repressed undertones with the BIG GUN, but that kiss from Jason just make the Freudian images too delicious to pass up. (wink, wink , nod, nod )

 
11:28 PM, April 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

I'm dying to try to deconstruct that dream but since there are real people in it that I don't know I am stymied. Anyway, weird? Yes. And now I fear I shall re-create it in my own dreams tonight. Was the black guy cute?

 
3:47 AM, May 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

If I ran on the pavement to and from the big honking roundabout (just run there and back), then I'd know how far, because I am 1 mile from the rounabout.

But I run in the woods, so it's hard to tell. One day I might take my Mum's pedometer and walk the route after I've run it, and work it out (I know about 1750 steps is 1 mile). Thing is, I tend to run down the track, but it's a slight slope, so by round 4 or 5 (which are downhill, I then walk up, and run down (until I run out of track), so I can get as amny runs downhill as possible!

Callie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home