Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Mom called this morning and they're back from the Mayo Clinic. She ended up joining two studies: one to study the familial relationship of cancer and one that studies the lymph nodes that are common to several types of cancer and why they develop one type over another. She said spent an hour and a half in interviews and they took tons of her blood. The nurse set down a tray with like 14 tubes in it, and Mom said, "Are you going to fill all those?" The nurse replied, "No, but you are." Neither of us are very good at giving blood - I get queasy just having a needle in my arm and IVs are worse. She said she spent quite a bit of time recovering with her head between her knees.

The only thing the doctor was concerned about was how fast her counts are doubling. I don't know whatever happened to the possibility of a bone marrow transplant, but I assume it's still in the options. I feel bad for hoping for it. If there's a chance it will cure her, I want it. It's selfish to want her to have to go through it, but I want it, I want it, I want it. I'd do it for her if I could.

2 Antiphon:

10:13 AM, May 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

*blanches slightly* I hope they only put the needle in once and transferred the tubes over...

Well done to your mum for getting through it all!

~CosmicAvatar

 
3:56 PM, May 20, 2005, Blogger Ems

We all would.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home