Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Do any of the girls out there remember Sunfire Romances? While I was at home this weekend, I found one on the bookshelf. I think I read these books when I was in my pre-teens. They're all historical romances, aimed at young girls. They're very PG-13, and usually involved a self-absorbed young girl who grows up and finds love in difficult times. The one I found was called Caroline, about a girl who dresses up as a boy so she can follow her brothers to California along the Oregon Trail. They were all very formulatic, but I liked them so much. I don't believe the library had all thirty-two, and I find myself interested in reading them again. There were so many books that I read over and over again, and I wish I could remember the titles or authors so I could track them down again. Maybe one of these days I'll have to go back to the library in Wilton and see if they still have them. I almost remember where they were on the shelf, although I'm sure they've probably been moved by now.

9 Antiphon:

9:54 AM, June 01, 2005, Blogger Eileen

I don't know the books you're talking about, but it reminded me of my pre-teen obsession with Sweet Valley Twins, which then moved on to Sweet Valley High. Man, I had the biggest crush on Ken! He was so sweet, but manly at the same time! ;)

 
2:38 PM, June 01, 2005, Blogger Mindi Scott

I've never heard of those books! PG-13? What does that mean? Kissng and feeling up, but no sex? ;-)

 
2:40 PM, June 01, 2005, Blogger Amanda

Oh crap. I completely meant to write PG. Kissing and hand-holding. No feeling up. :)

 
12:29 AM, June 02, 2005, Blogger Ems

OH MY GAWD! Caroline was mine. I read that book a billion times. Cuz she dresses up as a boy and they get to oregon and look for gold and she end up living with the dude but shes dressed like a boy so its ok and they find gold cuz she falls into a cave and almost dies. And then reveals that she is a girl and they happily ever after. ANd Laura was a nurse I think at Pearl Harbor. And Someone was part of the Movement for Women's voting rights. I think that one was Emily cuz I was disappointed cuz I didnt like it that much. But besides Caroline my other favorite was Kathleen. She was an irish immarant who came to New York during the potato famine and learned to make jewelry as a hobby while she was working a as a house servent/maid in some rich New Yorker's house. I am so looking on Amazon for those books! LOL.

 
12:32 AM, June 02, 2005, Blogger Ems

Wait I think that Laura was the voting and I think that Emily was a, what did they call the rich young girls and the turn of the century? Gilmore girls? No thats a WB show. Anyway, I think she falls in love with a Nazi, wait thats sound of music. Ah, nevermind I am so confused.

 
12:36 AM, June 02, 2005, Blogger Ems

Ok, Amanda goes to Oregon and aroline goes to Calfornia. nd Laura is Voting and eMILY IS A NURSE. oH, THE MEMORIES. aND IT IS WAAAAY TOO LATE TO CALL aMANDA.

 
8:09 AM, June 02, 2005, Blogger Amanda

You're thinking of Gibson girls. Charles Gibson, I think.

 
10:53 AM, June 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

I'm the same as Eileen, and wasd a big Sweet Valley nut (Twins and High). I had nearly all the Twins books, even the rarer ones, and most of the High ones too.

Sadly, gave them all away/sold them to second hand shops. Damnit!

Never took to the Sweet Valley Uni ones though, I was growing out of it by then.

Callie

 
1:08 AM, June 03, 2005, Blogger Ems

Do you still have the library card I got you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home