Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Sunday, June 05, 2005

I have a confession to make. I find this even more embarrassing than the fact that I had to file an extension for my taxes, although that was a direct result of this. I have an incredible filing system (though no filing cabinet yet - I keep it all on a shelf in the closet). I keep all my receipts and my bills. I have a Quickbooks file for my personal finances. In short, I am an obsessive record-keeper.

I have not done any of it for over a year.

I don't know what happened. There's a pile of stuff. Statements, receipts, bills... all paid but unrecorded. In a pile that's verging on a foot tall. How did I let it get this bad? Money comes in, money goes out, and I have no control over any of it.

I miss it. I miss running a balance sheet and slowly seeing my loans go down and my savings go up. Most of all, I miss knowing what my state of finances are at any given time.

It took me 10 hours this weekend to get it all done. The best part is, I'm now ready to start gathering the information I need to do my taxes and get my money back from the government. Plus, the satisfaction of being back in complete control.

2 Antiphon:

10:44 PM, June 05, 2005, Blogger jenn

I find it very comforting to know where I'm at with all my finances and what-not. But yeah, I've certainly had that thing where suddenly I realise I've not done any filing and sorting in an amazing amount of time. But it sure feels good when I get it done!

 
2:23 PM, June 06, 2005, Blogger Chelsea

James Marsters has a CD??? I must be more busy than I have realied because I haven't been keeping up on Firefly or Buffy stuff very well lately.

Today, on the bus, I started reading a book just for fun for the first time since last summer. Let me tell you, it feels phenomenal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home