Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

I really need to stop eating things that I know are just not...good anymore. I'm not picky about the expiration date on my food. I know some people that will throw away milk on it's expiration date, no matter if it's still okay or not. I will drink it until it doesn't pass the smell test. And even then, even if it doesn't smell quite "right" I'll still pour it on my cereal until it tastes bad.

I tried the same thing with butter today. I'm big on the English muffins for my mid-morning snack, and I keep a small Tupperware bowl of butter in my desk drawer for that purpose. Butter keeps for a long time a room temperature, but obviously not that long. This morning when I toasted my muffin, I scraped out the mold (just because there's mold on the outside doesn't necessarily mean the inside's gone bad), and spread the rest on my muffin.

Gross. I managed two bites before I had to throw the ruined muffin in the trash. Bad butter is really bad. What can I say? I am my father's daughter.

5 Antiphon:

1:45 PM, June 07, 2005, Blogger Ems

Do you know how hard I laughed. You are Dad's child! "Just becasuse there's mold on the outside..." I think that is a direct quote from him! rotflmao. Especially cheese people. Moldy cheese is not nessicarily bad! I have taught Matt that experation dates dont matter so much. LOL.

 
1:46 PM, June 07, 2005, Blogger Ems

Ok, that should read cheese, people. NOT cheese people. Its really hard to type with a cat on your lap.

 
4:04 PM, June 07, 2005, Blogger Mindi Scott

I think the only thing I don't pay attention to the expiration date on is eggs. I don't eat them and I only use them occasionally for baking. I'll let them go weeks past the printed date and nothing has happened yet.

Expired milk though? Ew. I'm not doing any smell test or taste test. Luckily, Dwayne and I eat enough cereal that our milk never goes bad.

 
9:23 AM, June 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

'Tis good to be practical! There are certain substances I don't muck about with when it comes to expiry dates, but I'll happily carve the mould off cheese, butter, jam and bread if I think I can get away with it.

~CosmicAvatar

 
8:02 AM, June 09, 2005, Blogger Eileen

Hee! I'm the same. I'll use slightly off smelling milk in tea and coffee until it gets too obviously bad for me to ignore it anymore. I use eggs past the expiry date too. I've also been known to cut the mould off cheese and use the underneath.

I'm still alive and have never suffered food poisoning!

Although I'm insanely anal about meat. I get paranoid that it smells off, even if it's ages before the use by date.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home