Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Do you know what a miter box is? Sounds like it's something to keep bugs in, doesn't it? Actually, it's a box that helps you cut straight and at specific angles and such. Pretty dang cool. I never knew they existed until I was wandering Menards yesterday, collecting supplies for installing quarter-round on my living room floor. I did two walls today, and they look pretty good if I do say so myself. I saved the hardest parts for last, of course. I have to get "sawing straight" and "hitting a nail on the head" down before I get to the more difficult doorways and such.

I'm going to wait and finish the project before I decide whether or not to take back this box or nails or not. When I was in Menards yesterday, I thought I had finishing nails at home, but when I cleaned and organized my junk drawer (!) yesterday, the ones I found were way too big. So I stopped by on my way home from church today and picked up a box. Then when I was down in the basement, looking for a paintbrush to touch up the trim, I found the box of nails. I feel incredibly silly taking back a 90-cent box of nails, but what am I going to do with them? It looks like I may be able to take back a length of quarter-round too, though, so that's another $7, so I won't feel nearly so silly.

When I'm there, I'm also thinking about picking up some sound board. I put some insulation under the stair cover for the apartment upstairs, because this girl for some reason is way louder than any tenant I've had up there before. I want to try some remedies for sound before I keep yelping at her to cut the sound down.

But it's on *all* the time! I think she's one of those that falls asleep to the television, which drives me nuts when I'm trying to sleep. There's this hum, which isn't very loud, but drives me up the wall. That was one of the things that Nichole, my dormmate freshman year, and I fought about all the time. She couldn't go to sleep with it off, and I couldn't go to sleep with it on. Just sensing it was on drove me bonkers. I was so hard to get along with.

I had a dream about being back in the dorms the other night because of this. It ended up with me and Rachael trying to beat the crap out of each other. Weird. No wait, it morphed into...on second thought, that dream was so convoluted, you don't even want to know. Or more likely, it's hard to explain with little payout. Suffice it to say it was one of my weirder dreams.

7 Antiphon:

1:37 AM, August 22, 2005, Blogger Ems

Hold on... You WERE hard to live with? This statement, no offense, should NOT be in the PAST tense.

BUT I do understand, its the soft noises that drive you nuts, cuz they are just loud enough for you to know its there so instead of sleeping your brain is trying to focus in and hear a barely audible sound. My upstairs neighbors were like that when I lived in Iowa City, cept is WASNT that TV I could hear. And if it was, the program WAS NOT suitable for children and he enjoyed it WAY TOO MUCH!

 
11:55 AM, August 22, 2005, Blogger Mindi Scott

I hate the sound of a television in the background any time of day. If I'm not watching it (and I very rarely am) I DON'T want to hear it. I want the people on the screen to Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

Unfortunately, my husband likes to have the TV on whenever he's at home. He uses it as a tool to fall asleep for midday naps. I keep my office door closed when he's home so I don't have to listen to it.

All that to say that I sympathize completely.

 
8:18 PM, August 22, 2005, Blogger Amanda

Hell yeah I'm easier to get along with now. I realize I might be making unreasonable demands and am trying non-confrontational means to deal with it and dealing with my frustration on my blog instead of bitching her out.

Plus, I deleted an entire paragraph bitching you out, but I may have mitigated my point by admitting that.

 
12:18 AM, August 23, 2005, Blogger Ems

yeah, best to have left that out.

No one can deny that the best thing that ever happened to our relationship was you moving out.

 
3:31 AM, August 24, 2005, Blogger Eileen

I always weem to be better friends with my roommates/flatmates when I'm not actually living with them. I've come to the conclusion that I'm the cause of this, since I'm the common denominator. I was not born to share. Strange considering I have two sisters. But yes, that's why I'm getting a place of my own in February!

 
7:39 AM, August 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

I sympathize. H wants a TV in our bedroom and the thought fills me with absolute horror. I can handle Harry Potter audio CDs on, but the varying noise and light flashes from a TV...No way.

H would have known what a mitre box is! You should see the weird woodworking shite in our garage.

~CosmicAvatar

 
9:58 AM, August 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

I'm the same, with background noises. It's why people listening to CD players/mp3 players etc with headphones piss me off so much, if I can hear their music- it's the bass, the faint song I can hear, but not well enough to hear the song.

And I think I'm like you and Eileen- but I'm gonna say one thing here- it takes two to share a house, so it can't only be us. Do you think our combined previous housemates were saints?

Callie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home