Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Saturday, October 08, 2005

So that's it. I'm the last cousin of marriagable age to be single. My cousin Rachael got married today. Shawn took her last name. As I understand it, he's had several last names now, and the one he has now doesn't mean so much to him. Rachael's last name had more meaning to him, so he's changing his name to hers. I like that.

Cassie, well-meaning as she is, kept trying to point out single guys to me. I love her to death, but the first thing you do if you want to upset me is to try and force me into something. I know I'm single, and right now, I like it that way. I asked her, "What, don't you think I'm happy?" Which I'm not, but that's a whole other kettle of wax, and besides, she doesn't know that. That made her think twice.

I made a comment in passing last night at the rehearsal dinner when the boys were running around and screaming in an enclosed space and the girls were crying for one reason or another - "Man, I'm glad I don't have kids." Lew said, "Mom isn't." What? This is news to me. Mom has never mentioned this to me, which is a good thing, because see above, but it upsets me all the same. I don't know if I want kids, and for sure I don't want one now. The thought has crossed my mind, what it would be like if I wanted to adopt or an alternative. But single parenthood is definitely not in the cards for me, and definitely not what Mom is thinking, either.

I just need them to leave me alone about this. I can't give them a reason. How does one explain that you've given your heart away to someone who doesn't know he has it, and you don't know how to get it back?

1 Antiphon:

10:57 PM, October 08, 2005, Blogger Ems

One shouldnt have to explain. Especially not to her family.

What Lew doesnt know, is that mom didnt want him to be with Ashley forever because she wouldnt be able to have his child. And she thought, no believed, that it was tragic that, should they have ended up together, that Lew would never be a father. Mom's greatest joys in this life are her children, and the man that she shares them with. Thats what she wants for her children, that kind of happiness. Its not meant to make you feel bad, or guilty, or depressed, or negative in any way. Mom just wants you to find the kind of joy that she feels when she looks at her children. How ever you may find it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home