Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Monday, October 31, 2005

What a beautiful night for trick-or-treating. It's fifty degrees, clear and crisp. It reminds of the best costume I ever had. At that time, Mom wasn't nearly so active outside the home, and had time to sew us costumes. I had the best costume in the second grade. I was Strawberry Shortcake. I had the dress, the striped socks, the shoes, the hat, and a red yarn wig. I was so proud of that costume - it was torture to wait until two o'clock for the school party to start.

That night, it was cold. Freezing, in fact. Mom would not let me wear my beautiful costume outside, because I wouldn't be warm enough. I was so upset. I ended up having to wear what can best be described as a pillowcase with an image of Strawberry Shortcake on the front, so I could wear sweats underneath. This image was a good three feet tall - I think it was supposed to be some kind of pillow pattern from the fabric store. Emily had one, too. She was Bedtime Bear, and she was at least short enough so that Mom could cut out the face for Em's face to show through and be proportional. I could do no such thing without looking ridiculous.

I thought I looked ridiculous anyway. The disappointment almost overshadowed the entire day.

3 Antiphon:

3:49 PM, November 01, 2005, Blogger Mindi Scott

My worst Halloween when I was a kid, I got sick. I was in my costume, ready to go out, and then I was puking.

The good news is that I was dressed as a Native American princess with red face paint. Now I don't ever have to admit that I wore that costume... because I didn't!

 
11:13 AM, November 02, 2005, Blogger Ems

I always thought that wig was for a Raggedy Anne costume... Is this the same wig? I totally dont rememmber that year. I could say I do but I only remember seeing that pic from Gramma W's house. Didnt know that was why we were in pillow cases. Always thought mom got busy that year and thats all she could whip up. I feel better knowing it was cold.

 
6:48 AM, November 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous

I'd love to do dress up! We never did for Halloween, it's not observed much (trick or treating, anyway) over here.

Callie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home