Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Friday, January 06, 2006

This is SO. COOL.

I brought my laptop home from work so I could finish up most of my bookkeeping from 2005 (no late taxes this year, I swear), and I figured out how to hook it up to my wireless network. I am blogging...wait for it...from BED. I feel so eccentric. My next computer is going to be a laptop, no matter how unreliable they might be. I'd never have to get out of bed again.

7 Antiphon:

12:48 AM, January 07, 2006, Blogger jenn

And I'm replying to your post from my couch! In the living room! A whole hallway away from the cable modem in the computer room.

:)

 
8:50 AM, January 07, 2006, Blogger Dogeared

Aren't they great? I worried mine was overheating (which I think happened to my old laptop- the fan finally broke after 4 years, and so the laptop would overheat).

Worrying about that and hearing about my friend's Dell laptop overheating, mine is now rested on two books on my desk- but I sit on the end of my bed and use it. I might move it TO my bed once in a while, just for comfort though.

Wireless is so cool!

 
12:07 PM, January 07, 2006, Blogger Mindi Scott

Meanwhile I've given my laptop to my husband because I can't stand it. He takes it everywhere he goes that has a wireless network in my very fancy case and sends me emails.

It was a really great investment on my part. [rolleyes]

 
11:13 AM, January 08, 2006, Blogger Technomage

If You think you are having fun now, wait until you are blogging with your laptop in the PED Mall using the Library's "hot spot", during the summer! How about going wireless in a coffee house or mall! Iowa City and Coralville are just filled with "Hot Spots".

On a Darker note: You may now realized that your Ineternet connection could be used from your street or nieghbors. For Example, It's possible to use Panera Bread's network even when they are closed.

I found a new "hot spot" when I was getting my oil changed! My new Ibook G4 just beeped at me and said , "Would you like to connect to this network?" HELL YEAH!

As for the overheating, as fun as it might be to sit in bed with your laptop and have that nice warm computer on your lap, don't do it. Most laptops are designed with a hard surface in mind. That 1/8 of an inch under the laptop is needed for cooling. Setting the laptop on blanket, quilts or pillow cut the airflow and will quickly overheat the CPU and other components. If you really have the need to compute in bed try putting your laptop on a book, clipboard, or other hard surface. That will keep your laptop happy.

 
10:40 PM, January 08, 2006, Blogger Amanda

Oh, yeah, we have access to the network from the coffee shop downstairs from our office, though we're supposed to use our own for security reasons.

You have to have a hexadecimal key to access my home network.

 
10:44 PM, January 08, 2006, Blogger jenn

Yeah, I set up a security code on mine too.

And just today I see that finally someone else in my neighbourhood has a wireless set up. From Jim's place we could actually pic up on about five or so - usually two or three without having set their security.

Oops.

 
3:45 AM, January 09, 2006, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Wireless laptop does indeed rock, especially when it means you don't have to get out of bed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home