Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Oh. My. God. What a night. What a difference from that entry a couple days ago. Iowa City got hit with several tornados last night. My tenant and I spent some time in the basement last night with the radio. My home is okay, and work is okay, but there's a lot of damage around. Several businesses were either destroyed or had roofs ripped off, and there's debris everywhere. I walked to work this morning, since downtown was some of the hardest hit, but I suppose I could have driven. Uprooted trees, downed power lines...I was out of power for about four hours. The University closed. The University hasn't closed in over ten years.

A church had it's roof ripped off, Dairy Queen is absolutely gone, and just about every car dealership in town was hit. And there were so many nutcases out on the streets last night, gawking, the emergency vehicles were having a hard time getting through. The people on the radio said it looked like there was a football game going on. There are all kinds of people out this morning with cameras. The hardest hit places were downtown, Riverside, and all the big stores southwest of town, like Menards, Wal-Mart and Cub Foods, plus all those brand-new car dealerships. There's also a sorority (one of our clients) that lost it's roof and one side of the house. There was also a major gas leak on South Gilbert street that forced an evacuation for blocks around.

Check out pictures in the Press Citizen.

Edit: A better gallery can be found at the University's page. This is the stairwell of the parking garage I park in (my house is about another block beyond that crane in the background), and I walk through this entrance every day on my way to/from work. The most poignant pictures to me are this one and this one (the aforesaid client).

10 Antiphon:

10:22 AM, April 14, 2006, Blogger Annika

I'm so glad you're OK!

 
11:33 AM, April 14, 2006, Blogger Mindi Scott

That sounds really scary! I'm so glad you and your property weren't hurt.

Only having your power out for four hours is amazing. Where I live, our power was out for 24 hours just because someone drove knocked over a telephone pole.

 
12:02 PM, April 14, 2006, Blogger Dogeared

Wow... I'm glad you're OK (and your tennant and your house). I had a look at the pictures, and this one stood out:

Upside down car

 
5:56 PM, April 15, 2006, Blogger allison

Wow. Glad you are okay. [hug]

 
9:50 AM, April 17, 2006, Blogger Angela

Holy begonias! I'm glad that you're ok. It looks terrifying, and sad.

 
10:16 PM, April 17, 2006, Blogger Chelsea

The UI webpage does have some great pics, even from Thursday night! I haven't been down there yet, but if I have time tomorrow I might try to walk down there for lunch. I thinke I have seen almost every picture out there, but I have only personally seen Riverside. I t was so surrealy sitting in the Nest's version fo a basement listening to second (or third)-hand info about the destruction as it was happening.

 
10:17 PM, April 17, 2006, Blogger Chelsea

Wow, I can't type!

 
10:36 PM, April 17, 2006, Blogger jenn

Geeze, I hadn't even THOUGHT of you being around all this!!

HUGS!! I'm so glad you are okay.

 
2:28 AM, April 18, 2006, Blogger Ems

I find it interesting that you had to go to work. The University closed but, then again two things in this world are certain, death and taxes. I'm just glad you were involved with the latter one!

 
8:12 AM, April 18, 2006, Blogger Chelsea

The Univeristy was closed, but all faculty and staff, including me, still had to go. It made me wish I was still a student.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home