Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Today was the first annual University Heights Chautauqua. It was pretty primitive, as town festivals go, but it was fun. I took my blanket and my crocheting and sat under a tree after I introduced myself to a few people. They started out with music: a couple guys with guitars singing folk songs, and one of the guys' sons got up and sang too, a little too close to the mike, but he was cute - he was about eight and had wild curly red hair. Then they did a couple skits, one with three old ladies, which was adorable and then the little red head and his grandpa did "Who's on First" and the kid did an awesome job at that, too. A born performer. :)

Then a guy who moved into the town last year told some history of the town.
The house he moved into had been in one family since it was built in 1927, and he found a lot of cool old stuff. Turns out the land was bought in 1927 by the Koser brothers, who then developed it as the Coral Gables subdivision. One of the things the guy found was a flyer advertising the lots, and described the subdivision as having all the amenities of city living, but outside Iowa City city limits (which is laughable now, since we're right smack in the middle of Iowa City). He also
read from a bunch of letters from the woman who built his house, as she corresponded with the Koser brother who was building his house next to his, and kept copies of all of the letters. He said that as the correspondance went on, his replies got shorter and shorter, responding to her questions. That was amusing. Then the guy played his banjo for the rest of the time. So it was pretty quick, but entertaining.

They also made the announcement that our contract with the libraries starts June 1st, so I can start checking things out from the library with my own card! Yay!

I also cleaned my house, and right as I finished up cleaning the tub, it clogged on me. So I ended up going to Mom and Dad's Saturday night instead of Sunday morning as I had planned, so I could take a shower. I hate my plumbing. I should just invest in my own snake.

1 Antiphon:

5:30 PM, May 28, 2006, Blogger Eileen

Wow, it sounds like something right out of Star's Hollow in Gilmore Girls! I love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home