Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Calvin and I had a wonderful time yesterday on our annual godmother/godson outing. I had a really hard time figuring out what we were going to do, but after lunch at McDonald's (and a Cars Happy Meal for Calvin), we went to the Putnam Museum and IMAX Theater. We wandered around the museum for a couple hours, and then saw The Living Sea at the IMAX. I had wanted to take him to see Bugs! 3D, but they stopped playing it on Saturdays the week before. Doh! It was pretty cool, at any rate, since there was a lot of those weird feelings like you're actually swimming underwater or flying. IMAX is so cool that way. I don't think I could watch a real movie in IMAX, though. They did some previews for Poseidon and Superman Returns, and my eyes just could not focus on the closeups. Or it's just that Kurt Russell is not meant to be blown up that big.

Putnam does a pretty decent job of being interactive, with things you can touch and do, which for a six-year-old is pretty important. It was a very different museum-going experience, though, not having time to stop and read things. He was also kinda freaked out by the mummy, so we spent very little time in the Egyptian section. We had to go through the sea maze twice, though. Dead ends are obviously quite fun.

He was very decisive as to what toy he wanted when we went to Toys R Us. I wanted to encourage him to look around to see if there was anything he would want more, but he ended up going home with a (cheapy) toy train set. But it had a crane, so he wanted it. I'm really glad I started doing this with him.

3 Antiphon:

10:47 AM, June 12, 2006, Blogger Chelsea

Sounds like you guys had fun! There were times during V for Vendetta when I got a little dizzy. Actually I think the stuff before the movies was worse in that regard.

I saw you were reading Sunshine, read the reviews on Amazon and checked it out from the library. Did you like it? I only read about 20 pages last night before I got so sleepy I couldn't follow what I was reading anymore. How do you like your latest book?

 
10:48 AM, June 12, 2006, Blogger CosmicAvatar

What a cool godmother you are! Or maybe it's just because it sounds like the kind of thing I'd like to do. [wink]

 
4:47 AM, June 13, 2006, Blogger Eileen

That sounds like a lovely thing you do with Calvin. Whenever I consider starting something like that with Kieran, I realise I can't because although he's my godson, he's also my nephew, and I couldn't bring myself to treat Kieran and Lewis differently. I guess I'll have to do it with both of them and just be the cool aunt!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home