Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Great. Now people are pissed off because they found out the other section isn't doing electronic homework, and I'm grading the homework differently. The other guy is giving people credit only if they attempt it, and not based on correctness. Which I understand. But I'm doing that for in-class work, and they have five attempts to get the homework right. That's enough to pick up the concept, right? Five tries?

But no, since the other guy is willing to sit and grade homework every time, I get people wanting to talk to the Dean about my grading policies. I want the kids to do their homework, and I want them to do it right, because that's how they're going to learn the material. I don't think I should feel guilty about that. But I guess I'm not ruthless enough.

4 Antiphon:

2:04 AM, June 14, 2006, Blogger Meghan

The other section needs to get over it.

No guilt for you! [/guiltnazi]

 
10:09 AM, June 14, 2006, Blogger CosmicAvatar

What Meghan said. Do what's right!

 
5:11 PM, June 14, 2006, Blogger Technomage

You now see the problem with education in the US. No matter how you grade or how you teach the class, someone will be unhappy.

Teach the way you think you will have the greatest effect, and learn to be happy with that.

 
10:18 AM, June 16, 2006, Blogger jenn

I call bullshit. If the PTB want all sections exactly the same, it is their responsiblity to design the course, the syllabus, and so on. Otherwise it will be taught in a variety of ways - which is normal. At one point there were five of us teaching that first year english class and mine was, by far, the most challenging section.
If someone brings it up with you, tell them that if they want to strive to always learn the least - they can order their course credentials from a website that will also throw in a free PhD.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home