Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

My eye is healing, but it's healing poorly. Or slowly. The problem is the dryness of my eyes, and that the edge of my contact lens irritates the area and keeps it from healing. So last night, at my fourth visit to the doctor for this stupid problem ($$$$$), he gave me a soft contact to wear. The soft contact will cover my entire cornea, and the area that refuses to heal.

Now I've been wearing rigid gas permeable (RGP) contacts since the fourth grade, when the deterioration of my eyesight was so quick that my parents were having to buy new lenses for my glasses every six months. The RGPs served as a sort of braces for my eyes, to try and slow down the progression of my nearsightedness. Although I needed the contacts, Dr. Davis was a little worried about me, since I had such a difficult time with even putting eyedrops in my eyes. But I learned to put in and take out the contacts, and became the poster girl for people who don't think they can use contacts.

That was all before I tried soft contact lenses for the first time last night. Putting them in was easy, though they felt huge, since they cover more of my eye. But taking them out? I felt like I was 10 again. With RGP, you just pull your eyelid around the lens and pop them out. But with soft, you have to reach in there and grab them! I was so frustrated and freaked, I was giggling. I finally barely managed to get it out, and I'm sure it will get easier as I practice, but I'll be glad to get this healed and go back to the RGP.

Besides, this -12 just isn't doing it for me. Fuzzy vision is so distracting!

5 Antiphon:

10:25 AM, June 02, 2006, Blogger Mindi Scott

It took me awhile to learn to take my contacts out. Of course, I started out with soft and had no experience whatsoever. I think that made it a little harder.

There were many, many frustrated nights at the bathroom mirror. I'd have Dwayne come in and look at my eye to tell me where the contact was hanging out, because I couldn't tell. Sometimes I'd even cry.

I've been wearing contacts for five years (I think) and I have little trouble now. I still find that if I shower and/or wash my face (and therefore my eye makeup) before removing my contacts, it is always going to give me problems. Dwayne has no such trouble, so I don't know what that's all about.

Good luck to you!

 
12:30 AM, June 03, 2006, Blogger Technomage

Alright I'll fall on my sword and state the obvious. Have you thought about wearing a regular pair of glasses until you eyes heal properly?

What is more important your sight or your vainity?

 
11:48 AM, June 03, 2006, Blogger Ems

I can answer the glasses part, since I share the genes. Glasses cannot hold a strong enough prescription so they are never as good as contacts. So for us to wear glasses all day, is literally painful. (Hello, migraine) And days on end, is next to impossible. So while it seems obvious you have to know that our family is blind.

And it does get easier. I had a hard time converting to the size. But I find them more comfortadle, but not as sharp. Taking them out will bevome the easy part. Just DONT LET THEM DRY ON YOUR EYE! Keep it lubed or else you have to peel them off your eye, and sometimes that hurts!

 
2:24 PM, June 03, 2006, Blogger Amanda

Great! Now I have something else to worry about. I've already torn one trying to get it out of my eye.

 
2:44 PM, June 05, 2006, Blogger CosmicAvatar

After trying various methods of removing contacts, I find the best way is to slide it to the side first so it's no longer snugly fitting on the cornea and is therefore easier to grab (I'm sure you've discovered this already). The only annoying thing is when you accidentally pinch your eye as well as the lens. Yick!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home