Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Every year, during the hottest week of the year, there's something called RAGBRAI. Basically, it's several thousand people taking a week to bike across Iowa. Every year, it's a different route, and this year it came through Coralville. Although every town that the route passes through has something special going on for the riders (food, mostly), the designated overnight spots are where the parties are. My next door neighbor offered to host a group (provide a place for their RV, offer showers, and a place to sleep and to store their bikes).

Since there was this party next door, I got myself invited over and met some pretty cool people. The group was put together by a guy from Seattle, who invited all his old college friends from Ottomua Heights (now Indian Hills) to go with him: "If I plan, will you ride?" Some of these people hadn't seen each other in 20 years, so it was a lot of fun eavesdropping on their reminiscing. The other interesting thing was hearing the impressions of Iowa from the out-of-staters. They hadn't seen lightning bugs before, and thought the locusts were really loud. (Which they actually are in my neighborhood for some reason. Mom was up a couple days ago and commented on how loud they were.) They also couldn't get over how fabulous the pie was. "Those churches are the place to eat along the way. Those grandmas can really bake pie."

4 Antiphon:

5:57 PM, July 29, 2006, Blogger Ems

Amen to that! I miss a good pie. A good FRUIT pie. Do you know how hard it is to find a GOOD raspberry pie up here? Nearly IMPOSSIBLE!!! I KNOW there are people up here who have NEVER HAD a raspberry. Not a real one, you know, just the berry. let alone a raspberry pie... with vanilla ice cream... homemade vanilla ice cream... Lord, I miss home.

 
3:55 AM, July 30, 2006, Blogger Dogeared

That sounds really cool!

 
8:38 AM, July 30, 2006, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Mmmmmmmmm, pie.

Cycling good!

 
7:37 PM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Chelsea

I was almost sad that I wasn't on RAGBRAI this year. I didn't ride last year either, but since it came throught town, I guess it made me wish I was a part of it all. When I thought about how hot and humid it was that week, I got over my momentary sadness.

I rode RAGBRAI at least 7 times and I never remember looking forward to it, so I am not sure why I wanted to. I always half wished I would get hurt just badly enough so I couldn't finish and I could go home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home