Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

My brother says fuel pumps are important. Damn. I took my Ranger in to the auto mechanic, because it was taking way too many cranks to get the engine to turn over. They called and said it was the fuel pump and it was going to cost about $500 to fix. Shit. I'm glad I only put half down on the windows, instead of the 75% I was planning. I thought, "I'd better keep the extra cash around for emergencies. Plus, there's the sidewalk and the painting I'm going to have to pay for this summer, too." Forethought! It's great!

So much for my perfect record on repairs. But it is seven years old, so something had to go sooner or later. I could have just wished that it was something a little less labor-intensive. "I'm not surprised [it'll cost that much]," Lew said. "They'll probably have to drop the tank out to get to the pump, since there's no bed access." Who designed this stupid thing? I have to pay extra for oil changes, too, since it's difficult to reach the oil filter.

But I do love my truck. I'll probably end up driving it into the ground, just like Dad does to his cars. Did I ever tell you about the Taurus? The one that's three colors and he carries a portable heater in the passenger seat in the winter because the heat doesn't work and he doesn't want to put the money into it to fix it? He's determined to drive it until it dies. I won't be that bad, but I won't be buying a new vehicle when my loan is paid off (ten more months!). I've got it set up so that my paycheck automatically goes toward paying the loan, and when it's paid off, the money will go into my savings account instead, so it's earmarked for a new vehicle when I do need one. I thought that was pretty clever of me.

But it does pain me to part with money like this.

8 Antiphon:

11:53 AM, July 26, 2006, Blogger Angela

I drive a 2000 Cavalier and the fuel pump quit on me last November. It cost $850 to fix because, like your truck, they had to take the tank out to get at it.

It's obvious that we should be the ones designing these things... ;-)

 
1:23 PM, July 26, 2006, Blogger Dogeared

7 years is pretty damn good though! Think of it as what - $80 per year? [/top of head estimate]

 
2:23 PM, July 26, 2006, Blogger Technomage

Hmmmm, If the city came by and told you to fix the sidewalk, don't you have until next spring to fix it.

I just got spanked with a Fix-It Order last week.

 
1:09 AM, July 27, 2006, Blogger Ems

Go to a junk yard and get one for cheper. What about the Feista? It had a hole in the fl;oor so he just put a piece of cardboard over it. LOL

 
8:24 AM, July 27, 2006, Blogger Amanda

Lew also said it was important to get a new fuel pump, with a warranty, so I'm taking his advice. It's the labor that's making it so expensive, anyway.

I have to have my sidewalk fixed by September 1st. First football game is the 2nd. :)

 
11:16 AM, July 27, 2006, Blogger Chelsea

I have never had a major problem with any of my cars. I probably shouldn't have said that. My car is only a 2001 and it gets great gas mileage (I got 40 miles/gal last time I drove to MN), but I want a new one for some reason. I have always told myself I would drive it into the ground, but that was before I got a decent job. I could afford a car payment right now, but I think it's better to work on my savings account before I go spend it all on a car. I am getting relatively close to 100,000 miles though. Maybe when I get to 100,000 I will think about getting a new one. I have never had a car that had fewer than 80,000 miles on it.

 
10:56 AM, July 28, 2006, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Know what you mean about wanting to drive your vehicle into the ground. That's what happened to our previous two, and I certainly couldn't imagine trading my TARDIS.

 
2:28 AM, July 29, 2006, Blogger Meghan

Auto repairs are such an unrewarding way to spend money.

Especially because it's the labor that's so expensive. You know they can rip you off so easily that way...

Can you tell I'm bitter about fixing my car?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home