Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Monday, August 21, 2006

I feel like I've been busy, but I haven't been. When I look back at what I've accomplished over the past two weeks, I see a lot of money hemmoraging out, but not a lot of accomplishment. Maybe I'm lethargic. Or maybe I've been frittering away too many hours watching Brisco County, Jr. and crocheting. Bruce Campbell is so hot.

I actually slept quite well on the road in Peoria, after that first night when I accidentally locked my roommate out. She didn't show up until one in the morning (they got lost and ended up in Chicago on their way from Madison), so I naturally assumed by 10 p.m., I wasn't going to have a roommate. Silly me! She had to go back downstairs to have the front desk call me, I was so out.

Sidewalk is all replaced. Neighbor Jason got it all done over the weekend, in plenty of time for the September 1st deadline (first football game is the 2nd...wheeee!). It's so shiny! Almost literally! It's whiter than anything else in the near vicinity. But, after thinking I was going to have to pay $1200 to get it done, Jason did it for $750. I got to use the saved $500 on a new refrigerator for the tenant. The cooling system went out in the old one, and it was going to cost just as much to fix it as to buy a new one. The old one really was old...it was that olive green so popular in the '70s, so I'm thinking 30 years is pretty good for a fridge, even if it had to go bad on my watch.

Speaking of, the new tenant is working out alright. She's got the heaviest footfalls of anyone who's ever lived up there, but she doesn't make any other noise, so I can live with it. Plus, she cooked me food after I complimented the smells coming through the ventilation. I can forgive a lot for free Indian food.

7 Antiphon:

4:19 AM, August 22, 2006, Blogger Eileen

I live in a house with four flats, and two Indian couples live downstairs. The smells coming from their flats are just delicious, and I have to stop myself knocking on their doors with a plate and a begging look on my face!

 
2:20 PM, August 22, 2006, Blogger Dogeared

I'd forgive a lot for free food too ;-)

 
3:07 PM, August 22, 2006, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Sounds like this tenant's pretty good so far!

 
9:13 PM, August 22, 2006, Blogger P@

Oh wow. When I was a kid, my grandmother totally had one of those olive green colored refrigerators!! I haven't thought about that in years, and just like that, it's back. Brains are weird.

Oh, and like others have said, I could totally deal with stompy upstairs neighbors if they cooked me food. =)

 
11:40 AM, August 23, 2006, Blogger Chelsea

I know what you mean about hemoraging money. I had to buy new tires and a dresser along with all the little stuff that comes with moving into a new apartment. I don't know where all my money went! Well, I do, but I just don't see how it all cost so much.

I am glad the new tennant is working out. Don't forget about lasagna tomorrow night!

 
2:05 PM, August 24, 2006, Blogger Mindi Scott

Is your upper level not as nice as the lower? Because moving to the top floor could solve your problem of having to listen to heavy walkers in the future. Of course, living on top always has it's disadvantages too...

 
2:11 PM, August 24, 2006, Blogger Amanda

Oh yes, much different. Upstairs is an efficiency apartment, downstairs has a kitchen, living room, two bedrooms and a bath.

Here's an (old) picture:
http://beacon.schneidercorp.com/Photos/JohnsonCountyIA-1016205015-0.jpg

Which reminds me, I still need to post pictures of my new windows!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home