Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

I think I need to do some babysitting, to remind me how much work kids actually are. It seems, lately, that I'm surrounded by babies. I finally got to spend some quality time with four-month-old neighbor Jamie while his dad, my dad, and my brother fixed my fence. What is it about men that they tend to take over projects you intended to do yourself?

At any rate, Jamie is adorable with his red hair and big eyes, and an infectious laugh when you make duck noises at him. Well, Mom made duck noises, Jamie and I laughed. All these babies make me want one of my own. But there's no way I'm trying it by myself, so I have to make myself content with borrowing.

I sent my check off for my 10 year reunion yesterday. It'll be in three weeks - bonfire and music and food at a classmate's farm. My life is a lot different than I expected it to be 10 years ago. I thought I'd be married with at least two kids by now. I'm not even sure if that's what I still want anymore. The longer I'm on my own, the more I value my independence. Husband, kids...sounds good in theory, but is it what I want in reality? This will take some more thought.

3 Antiphon:

12:53 PM, August 31, 2006, Blogger Technomage

What is it about men that they tend to take over projects you intended to do yourself?

1) Men like to fill useful. Your Dad is doing something to show how much he loves you and how he still feels the need to take care of you. Get use to it. I walk my daughter to school everyday, but I have to do it from 1/2 block behind because "I Cramp her style". Her words.

2) Men like doing task that Look macho. There is no way your brother will sit on his butt, while your dad is working. Most male ego would not let that happen especially of front of their Dad. As for your nieghbhor I'm sure if given the choice of fixing a fence on a nice day, or changing a dirty diaper the fence wins hands down. Most men want to be helpful and will do the dishes if there is nothing else they can do, but given the chance between housework and the chance to hurt themselves with tools, the tools wins.

3) You're a young attractive woman. Guys will fallen over themselves for the chance to help you. You should use that, to move your washer and dryer from the basement to you second floor Appt. You can time it with a stopwatch how fast they will say "Yes, I'll do that for you!"


As for the baby thing, sure they are cute when you only have them for half a day. That's why being a grandmother is fun. You can spoil the kids then send them home with your own kids as payback for when they kept you up at night.


See, Tech. See Tech Blog. Blog, blog, blog. Comment, Tech, Comment. See Tech avoid work. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

 
1:24 PM, August 31, 2006, Blogger Ems

I always prefer when I can give the kid back. At least for now.

 
2:31 PM, August 31, 2006, Blogger CosmicAvatar

See, Tech. See Tech Blog. Blog, blog, blog. Comment, Tech, Comment. See Tech avoid work. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

Dammit, this looks familiar - where is this from? Is something called Spot (and maybe running) involved?

Anyway, going back to the main entry: it sounds as though you definitely get on better with kids than I do!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home