Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

I spent several hours Monday evening making vegetarian lasagna. I've never done a vegetarian lasagna before, so I threw in whatever sounded good: fresh tomatos, mushrooms, spinach, tofu, ricotta and mozzerella cheeses and artichokes. I think the last item might have been a mistake.

I have never cooked an artichoke before, so I did my research, figured out how to cook it and how to get the edibles out of it. All went well, but I think adding it to the lasagna was a mistake. The flavor of the artichoke completely overwhelms the taste of the dish. Very not subtle.

So now the whole dish is a little ruined for me. It's very good, but it's not something I can eat day after day, which I need to do if I don't want it to go to waste. I need to pawn off half a pan of what is essentially artichoke lasagna. Maybe I can bring it to work...there's a couple vegetarians around here that might like it. Chalk one up to cooking experiments gone wrong! Or more like, gone not so right.

9 Antiphon:

3:48 PM, September 07, 2006, Blogger Dogeared

Veg I like for either oven roasting or lasagna -

peppers (red and yellow bell ones)
courgette (zucchini)
cherry tomatoes (sliced maybe for lasagna though)
broccoli

My housemate/landlady in final year, had a boyfriend who made a brilliant veggie lasagna. It was droolsome.

Here's to next time!

 
10:41 PM, September 07, 2006, Blogger jenn

I should send you my mom's recipe for veggie lasagna. It sounds very similar to what you posted here..

Now I'm hungry.

 
1:59 PM, September 08, 2006, Blogger Chelsea

Lasagna freezes very well.

How's your first-full-Friday-of-work-in-a-while going?

 
4:36 AM, September 11, 2006, Blogger Eileen

You've inspired me to make lasagne. I've never done it, but always wanted to. I've bought the ingredients and will make it tonight, possibly tomorrow.

 
3:08 PM, September 11, 2006, Blogger CosmicAvatar

I love artichokes, provided they haven't been marinaded in really strong stuff. Would picking them out of the lasagne help? It sounds as though you got off to a good start, although I also recommend peppers (capsicum?) like Callie, as well as partially-cooked courgette (zucchini).

My sis makes the most divine lasagne. [drooool]

 
3:09 PM, September 11, 2006, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Heh, forgot Callie mentioned courgettes as well...

 
3:41 PM, September 11, 2006, Blogger Amanda

I had some zucchini to put in it, but decided there was way too much already to fit into the pan!

 
10:54 PM, September 12, 2006, Blogger Ems

You need to blog something else cuz everytime I come stalking I read this damn entry and it makes me want lasagna like something fierce!!!!

 
9:56 PM, September 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

You know, if you ever wind up with too much veggie lasagne, you can ship it up here to me in Michigan and perhaps I'll return your Alias video that you loaned me last year. Shoot, if you promise to bring lasagne, I must just be persuaded to reschedule that party that got cancelled Spring of 05 because of losing my Mom.

Miss you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home