Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Monday, September 25, 2006

My reunion turned out to be a non-event, all things considered. We had a pretty decent turn out, about half the class showed up. The committee said they were able to track down everyone, everyone except the guy who was last seen on America's Most Wanted for fraud. "If we had found him," I said, "we could have had one hell of a party!" The award for furthest traveled went to the Navy SEAL, who is stationed in San Diego. My mom and his mom refer cakes to each other, and Mom told me later he's had an offer to become a "ghost" to do super-secret missions.

There were a couple of the younger babies there, and we talked about maybe next time doing something more family-friendly so we can see each others' kids. There are people with old kids in my class! I think we managed to get ourselves graduated from high school with only one parent in the class, so that fact was a little suprising, though I don't know why.

Beyond the whole "where are you and what are you doing?" questions, it was a little difficult to make conversation. It's an odd feeling to talk to a stranger that is familiar to you. We have all been changed by ten years' passage of time, and it was kinda neat to see how people have grown up. Or haven't, as the case may be. It was also interesting to see who showed up and who didn't. It was pretty much the people you'd expect to show up, plus a few surprises. The surprises were the people I was glad to see the most, because they, like me, had gotten past what high school had been like, and were comfortable in the present. You might say these are the ones who had grown up the most.

3 Antiphon:

8:38 PM, September 28, 2006, Blogger Ems

Someone from Wilton was on America's Most Wanted!? Who? Do I know them? How much money do you get for tracking down an AMW felon? Glad you had a good time.

 
8:56 AM, September 29, 2006, Blogger Eileen

You just made me realise that my ten year reunion (if my school did stuff like that, which I don't think they do!) would be in two years time. I can't believe how fast time flies!

 
3:44 AM, October 01, 2006, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Glad you had a good time. It is weird seeing people again after so many years have gone by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home