Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Calvin's field trip got canceled yesterday. We were so disappointed! But I had driven all the way to Wilton anyway, because no one called me to tell me that the Quad Cities had a heap of snow. We didn't get any! What a difference 30 miles makes. At any rate, I had driven all that way, so I spent the morning in the classroom instead. Mrs. Feuerbach used to be my kindergarten and first grade teacher, so it was like a blast from the past listening to her teach.

She didn't have much planned, since she expected to be on a field trip, so we reviewed math facts, the months of the year, the days of the week, and which ones were weekdays and which were weekends. Then we got to color and do some reading/word comprehension. And then we had milk and then made Christmas ornaments out of pinecones and glitter.

It was so much fun! Little kids are so accepting; I was everyone's friend by the end of the morning. I think Calvin was a little jealous, since I was supposed to be his special guest. It was also interesting to see how the teaching/learning style has changed. It's a parochial school, and they were supposed to close it last year due to money problems, but instead they switched to a self-directed learning program so that they could get by with fewer teachers. (There are kindergarten, first, and second grades in Calvin's room.) Basically, kids have assignments they have to do with deadlines, but they choose in what order to do them and the teachers assess whether they can go on or whether they need to cover the material again. I'll be seeing Calvin's mom tomorrow; I'm looking forward to seeing what Calvin said about it. He did ask whether I could come back on Monday. :)

1 Antiphon:

4:45 AM, December 04, 2006, Blogger Eileen

Aaw, so cute.

So let me get this straight. Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday are weekdays, and Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Monday are the weekend, right? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home