Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

So much for being all self-actualized and putting high school behind me. I've been invited to a party that I'm not sure I want to go to, because of all those bad feelings I was not being petty about. I was not invited by the hostess, I was invited by one of the two friends from high school I still keep in touch with. She had a much closer relationship with the rest of the invitees than I did: I talked to them in school, but very little social contact with them outside of school. I had very little social contact with anyone outside of school, really.

I know people have changed, and I had a good time talking with them at the reunion. But I think I'd feel like I was intruding on something at this party. I don't have the shared memories the rest of them have. On the other hand, I don't know how much that matters. Plus, I'd really like to see their kids, the ones who have them, anyway. At any rate, it'll be streching my comfort level to go, and it may just take me some time to get used to the idea.

4 Antiphon:

3:24 PM, December 21, 2006, Blogger Ems

Maybe leaving your comfort zone would be a good thing. Just because you didnt have a relationship with people in high school doesnt mean that you cant now. People change and grow up and sometimes that makes a big difference. Plus you can always leave early if you're not having any fun. But you were not sure if you were going to go to your renunion and you ended up having fun anyway.

 
4:30 AM, December 22, 2006, Blogger Eileen

My take on this is that if you don't want to go, don't force yourself. It sounds like part of you does want to go, but don't feel like you should just because it's a part of your life that you want to conquer or something. You're a confident, successful, happy woman, with friends and family who love you. You don't need to prove to yourself that you can have relationships with people from school. That's a part of your life that you're over and done with. If you particularly want to become friends with these people, then by all means go, but please don't feel like you should.

Sorry, I'm probably projecting here!

 
10:58 AM, December 22, 2006, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Eileen has put it so much better than I was planning to do. [wink]

 
6:36 PM, December 23, 2006, Blogger Chelsea

I agree with Eileen as well and I couldn't put it better myself. There are times when it is good to push yourself into positions that make you uncomfortable and there are times when it isn't necessary. I believe this is in the latter category. If you think it could be fun, I would say go for it, but if you are going to go and be too uncomfortable to have fun, don't bother. It's not worth it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home