Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Monday, April 09, 2007

I made it to church on time, got my nap after breakfast, ate an immense amount of food, and went to bed at 8:30, so I feel rested today. What a great Easter!

Two of the best stories from the day:

Mom, Aunt Joyce and I played Trivial Pursuit against Uncle Tim, my cousin Nicole and her boyfriend Ben. Ben and Nicole are in high school, so we were playing the Young Players edition, which I think we've had since the late '80s, so it was either going to be easy or difficult, and ended up being a combination of both. My team was down four pies to two, because we kept getting out-of-date questions like "On the Young and the Restless, who shot Jack Abbott?" If it had been an All My Children question, we would have gotten it, because Mom was the one who got me watching AMC in the first place, but that's how it was going. Anyway, then we staged a phenomenal comeback. The other team had been trying for the last question to win the game for the last two turns, and we made it to the center. Mom was on the phone with Lew, so we were kinda waiting for her. They chose "Good Times" as the category, and then Ben and Nicole looked at the question. Nicole said, "Oh, this is so obscure, you're never going to get it." I said, "May as well give us the question and see if we can answer it without Mom." The question: "Whose November 1983 death saddened Big Bird?" Duh! "Mr. Hooper!" Nicole and Ben's jaws dropped. "How did you know that?!?" "In 1983 I was five years old! I was devastated when Mr. Hooper died!"

Mom got new drip pans for the stove. Uncle Shawn (an appliance repairman) had to special order them for her, and she put them on the stove late last week to make sure they fit. She was going to take them back off again, but said, "We should use these all time." And Dad said, "No, you should save them for Easter." Mom was relating this story, and this was the point where I burst into giggles: "You have 'company' drip pans!" I can understand "company china" but "company drip pans"? Hilarious. Mom didn't think it was funny either, until we had ourselves all worked up over a game of Power Uno, and I was relating the story to Emily. We had really gotten the giggles over this game, and we were laughing at things that weren't funny. I haven't laughed that hard in a really long time.

0 Antiphon:

Post a Comment

<< Home