Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Em and I went to see The Merry Wives of Windsor last night at the Riverside Theatre Festival Stage in City Park. I've never read that play before, and it was entertaining. We went to Pancheros for supper and then headed over a little early to see the Green Show, where all the supporting cast members put on a 20 minute summary of the play in modern English, so that you have a better idea of the plot and it's easier to follow along when you're listening to Shakespearean English.

We arrived just a bit late, and squeezed behind the last row of people sitting on picnic benches and the bathroom building, so we would walk in front of anyone. One of the buttons on the jean jacket tied around my waist got caught on the skirt of the woman in front of me, and ripped it. She was completely indignant and told me off, like I had done it on purpose. What the hell, lady? I apologized and said it must have gotten caught on my button, and she just glared at me like I was trying to tear her clothes off her. It was an accident after all, and what kind of clothes are you wearing if it can get torn by a button? At any rate, it kind of colored my whole night. As Em and I were standing on the other side of the crowd watching the Green Show, I said, "Just watch. We'll be sitting next to her." I was wrong, she was sitting in front of us. Awkward! I would have felt worse about it if she hadn't been such a bitch about it.

We did enjoy ourselves anyway, especially the intermission when I commented on how chilly it was getting, being it's almost July. The discussion veered off into how Em would sleep with the windows open in winter if Matt would let her, but the pipes would freeze. It's not worth it, I said, where would you go to the bathroom? The neighbors' yard, she replied, It's not like they would notice, anyway. We giggled for a long time over that one. Or you just had to be there. :)

1 Antiphon:

1:12 PM, June 30, 2007, Blogger jenn

Well then - isn't that a funny bunch of people with their pokey eyes and rippy skirts.

You know where I stand on all that :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home