Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Monday, June 18, 2007

For Father's Day, us kids got Dad a toolbox. It was actually Lew's toolbox that he got for graduation, but he wanted to upgrade, and Dad wanted his old one. When Lew approached me with this idea, I said, "What? I'm gonna give him a used toolbox for Father's Day!?!" but I acquiesced. I guess Em did, too, since that's what we got him. Lew brought the toolbox home on his last trip to Wilton several weeks ago. He and Mom unloaded it themselves, so Dad wouldn't see that it wasn't as heavy without any tools in it. He went and looked in the meantime, though, when he wanted to borrow some tools. He asked Mom what Lew did with his tools, and she gave some half-assed answer and asked him a different question. It's a good thing Dad is easily distracted, and forgets what he wanted to talk about when you get him on the phone.

He got up a little early so we could have dinner together (he's working nights right now, so he usually sleeps until 5:00 and then goes in at 6:00), and I gave him my card, and told him, "Your present's in the garage, it's been there for several weeks." He laughed a little at that, since he had done that to me for my birthday, and said, "Well that was probably easy. How long's it beent there?" "Since Lew was here last." We went around and around until he finally got it: "No wonder I couldn't find his tools!" Lew called a few minutes later, and first thing Dad says is "Where the hell are your tools?" And then he laughs. He thought that was great. He thought it was just as great that Lew conned his sisters into financing a toolbox upgrade.

I also got him his own Egg & Muffin Toaster. I thought it was right up his alley, and he'll really enjoy it.

3 Antiphon:

1:28 PM, June 18, 2007, Blogger Ems

You know I said the EXACT same thing. I was just like "You want me to pay for a USED toolbox? Wait you want me to pay for YOUR toolbox so you can give dad a USED toolbox?!" But I was just lie, whatever. I did not, however, know that the dad toolbox was a gift in the first place. What a con artist.

 
1:46 PM, June 18, 2007, Blogger Amanda

There was some righteous indignation going on when Mom thought she remembered that Lew used his graduation money for tools and Dad bought the toolbox, but then he remembered that the box was Lew's graduation gift from them. It's still a little suspect, in my opinion.

 
2:16 PM, June 18, 2007, Blogger Mindi Scott

Ha! This whole used toolbox discussion is hilarious! Glad your dad enjoyed it. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home